timandmeli

Well Known Member
It just came to me today, two and a half years into my RV-8A build that this is my mid-life crisis. Some guys get a twenty-year old. Some guys get a corvette. I'm building a fricking plane!. Holy **** I'm stupid too.

Not stupid

Pretty common actually...

How old did you say you thought you were?

hahaha

Bevan
RV7A wiring

It just came to me today, two and a half years into my RV-8A build that this is my mid-life crisis. Some guys get a twenty-year old. Some guys get a corvette. I'm building a fricking plane!. Holy **** I'm stupid too.

Tim:

My RV-6 first flew a few months after I turned 40. I have been flying it more than 11 years now so that makes me 51. I fly formation with one RV builder that is just going to turn 27 or just did.

The sooner you start building, the sooner you can fly it.

Last edited:

I heard a great quote today that I think came from Micheal Scott from, "The Office."

"The older you get the better the chance your gonna die."

But luckily, building an RV takes 20 years off your age. When your done your back in the financial situation you were in 20 years ago.

Yep! Still cheaper than a 20 year old and holds its value much better than a Vette!

OLd

My wife said to me recently; Seems like we're having breakfast 'bout every 20 minutes.:rolleyes:

Sure wasn't that way when I was 5 and waiting on Christmas!:D

Enjoy the build and savor the flying. Hey guys: We're all terminal.:eek:

I remember the day my wing kit showed up and I was countersinking the fuel tank attach holes on the spar. It just hit me all of a sudden, "I'm really building a freakin' airplane!" and I just sat down and laughed for about 10 minutes. My wife told me I had finally gone insane, and my dog still looks at me funny.

Hey....The heck with you guys!:) I tried dating two 20 year olds this year and found out at 47...I'm not wired for 2 20's:D....seems at this point I've found a safe speed flying formation with another at 49 is quite comfy! Age is but a number as long as you have your health!

Yes, and some guys go out and get a new hair job with transplant like a farmer setting out seed in the spring.

Tim, if you are having a mid-life crisis you have not yet begun to get old. Keep building the RV-8, in 20 years its the only thing that will matter. The twenty-year old will not hang out that long unless you have very deep pockets. The only reason twenty-year old women join up is money. It sure isn't a new hair job.

I can't think of a worse predicament than carrying on a conversation with a 20 year old woman - unless you need an education on ipods and text messaging a cell phone. :)

Midlife

So far the 21 year old (I couldn't find a 20 year old) is far less expensive than the car or the plane....the divorce that is always possible because of it though? Priceless. But hey, I'm a guy.

If you think you're old

If you think you're old - you probably are. SARL Racer of the Year 2008, RV-Blue Class Chanpion fot 2007 and 2008, 3rd place AirVenture Cup for 2008, SARL National Champion Bronze Bob Axsom. I've been here 72 years. P.S. I have a 23 year old red Corvette

Good retort:

If some young punk gives you a bad time about your age, remind him that you are guaranteed to make xx years, while he is not. Usually shuts them up.

Bob... You're the MAN

SARL Racer of the Year 2008, RV-Blue Class Chanpion fot 2007 and 2008, 3rd place AirVenture Cup for 2008, SARL National Champion Bronze Bob Axsom. I've been here 72 years. P.S. I have a 23 year old red Corvette
Today 09:08 AM

Bob, I've always admired your kind and sharing personality, and in your own way, you're an inspiration in my life. Keep up the good work! Give me another year, then check your six... a not so old 64 will have you in his sights!

People talk about building their retirement. I'm going to be flying mine! :D

Amen to that! Thank goodness my wife agrees I need something meaningful to do....:)

Now if only the weather would give us a break, 6F this morning. It's -15F up in Minnesota where I was born. And up in Alaska where a couple brothers live, it's 22F. Climate change - does anyone know what's going on?

If it isn't a mid life crisis, its something else. Life sure is not boring. (Did a fuel pressure check yesterday and only got 8 psi, should be about 25. Guess what, forgot to tighten the line to the pressure transducer. Glad that did not happen in flight. And guess what again, the fitting at the fuel pump for that line with the restricted orifice, it does not restrict fuel flow very much. Another dum-de-dum-dum.)

If you think you're old - you probably are. SARL Racer of the Year 2008, RV-Blue Class Chanpion fot 2007 and 2008, 3rd place AirVenture Cup for 2008, SARL National Champion Bronze Bob Axsom. I've been here 72 years. P.S. I have a 23 year old red Corvette

Thanks Bob,

I thought I was the only 72 yr old here. Shouldn't a poll be run though, to find the eldest among us?

Jerry

RV-6a 18XP
First flight 03/21/07, the same day our first great-grandchild was born.

Last edited: