N941WR

Legacy Member
Today was a clear, not a cloud in the sky type of day. Since I had just finished up a contract that I had been working for the last year and a half, I decided that I would stop by the airport and do a little maintenance on the -9 before meeting my wife and son for dinner.

As I moved the plane out of the hangar I realized the wind was blowing pretty good. A quick look at the windsock told the story, or so I thought. It was sticking straight out, indicating a 90 degree crosswind. No big deal, it wasn’t moving around so I thought the wind would be steady. WRONG!

The taxi out and begging of the takeoff roll were completely normal but at about 40 knots the airplane jumped in the air about a foot then settled back on the runway for a second before a normal lift off. At about 10 feet the fun really began. The air was choppy like I’ve never felt before. Up on crosswind I looked at the wind indicator on the Dynon SkyView (Man, I love that feature!) and noticed that yes, the wind was a direct cross wind but it was blowing at 22 knots. Oh man, I thought to myself, this is going to be interesting. Knowing I have landed in similar crosswinds, I wasn’t too concerned until I was on final.

I extended final so I would have a chance to stabilize things prior to rounding out for the landing. While that was a good idea, the moving air had other ideas. We bounced, rocked, rolled, and jumped up and down the entire approach. The touchdown wasn’t too bad, all six of them.

Never before have I had to struggle to get the plane down to the runway like that. Tail wheel or nose wheel, it wouldn’t have mattered because just getting into position down close to the runway was an issue.

Anyway, the first landing consisted of about six bounces, some with power and some without. Finally I got the mains planted and everything worked out. I stopped on the runway, retracted the flaps, set the trim and took off again.

Pass number two wasn’t too good and had me thinking / wishing I had stayed on the ground. After numerous bounces, near ground loops, etc. I realized it was time to add power and go around for another try.

The third approach and second landing was a challenge but safe.

Trying my hand at crosswinds is something I enjoy doing but for some reason today’s crosswinds were choppy, making them a real challenge.

If you haven’t stayed proficient in crosswinds, you are missing one of most challenging aspects of piloting an airplane. If you are nervous about trying some, make sure you have an “out” in the way of a nearby airport that is better aligned with the winds. It is much better to beg for a ride back to your home airport with your plane safely tied down than to beg for a ride because you crinkled it.

Last edited:
Holy crosswind is right!

I have to tell you, once I was on the ground after the first try, I would have headed to the lockers! I don't have near the experience to head back up after that - at least until the wind calmed down a bit. Crosswind in a Piper is one thing - they have legs of steel!

I was at a mountain flying class at McCall Idaho and saw some pilots that could do amazing things with their planes. They didn't pilot them, they wore them. I remember Jason Elam land his Beaver on a rocky clearing I wouldn't want to take my ATV on. I hope to someday be so in-tune with my plane to have the confidence and skill to get back into the air - when it is HARD! Good job Bill!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, John and I both had four loads to put out yesterday...425 gallons per load, until noon, when it just became too "white-knuckles!" You ought to try turning a loaded Air Tractor near the ground in all that roughness. No wonder so many of us are grey!:)

Best,

If you haven?t stayed proficient in crosswinds, you are missing one of most challenging aspects of piloting an airplane.

At my home airport we have both a north-south and east-west runways, so when the pattern is empty I will use the crosswind runway just for this purpose. I believe that I need to be prepared for crosswinds because you never know what the winds might be like at the destination airport after a cross country trip.

I landed at 14A about 20 miles from Bill around the same time. I only had a slight cross wind but the gusts made the last few feet interesting. Should be a better day today. Trying to figure out if I can sneak away to the RV nation flyin!

George

At my home airport we have both a north-south and east-west runways, so when the pattern is empty I will use the crosswind runway just for this purpose. I believe that I need to be prepared for crosswinds because you never know what the winds might be like at the destination airport after a cross country trip.

I'm jealous of your situation. Xwind practice is obviously a good thing. Its breezy here at Asheville but rarely a challenging crosswind. The airport planners did a good job with the runway orientation. I posted here about the last stiff one I had. It was right after going to see Brantel in TN. 90 degree 18G24. I bounced once, but it was a goodie. Pissed me off. I was not in to mood to go do it again because I had bruises on my head from turbulence over the mountains :eek:

If you haven?t stayed proficient in crosswinds, you are missing one of most challenging aspects of piloting an airplane. If you are nervous about trying some, make sure you have an ?out? in the way of a nearby airport that is better aligned with the winds. It is much better to beg for a ride back to your home airport with your plane safely tied down than to beg for a ride because you crinkled it.

Good topic Bill. I need that xwind practice. A while ago caught some good winds and went to Central Jersey. A young CFI saw I was going to fly and said bring logbook for free BFR after landing. Couldn't land after several tries. :(

fcbd2e05.jpg

Crosswind landings are one thing, gusty landings are another. Combine the two and 'hoo boy!'. Gusty conditions were a factor when I rolled up the nose gear on my RV-6A (though I maintain it was my complacency that was the main cause). I just had to comment after reading the OPs comment about 'planting the mains'. In gusty conditions, the mains aren't 'planted' even when you stop rolling. Here in Flag, I've seen gusts higher than my stall speed (no, I haven't gone flying on those days). But even at lower speeds, there's still enough lift to make your plane 'light' and prone to some adverse effects. Even sitting still a light plane can bounce around a fair bit. Some years back, I saw a plane landing in a crosswind get a gust on rollout that caused it to veer and, at the same time, put a wing on the runway. The pilot got control back and nothing was seriously hurt, except for some fiberglass and paint. but still...

P.S. I've flown several times since repairing the RV-6A in conditions pretty much like those on the day I had my 'incident'. No problems landing, I just don't quit flying once the wheels make contact. In fact, I don't stop until I get out of the plane at it's parking spot. Lesson learned.

Taxiing in stong/gusty x-winds is a challenge too ...

I find that even after I get it on the ground, taxiing with that big weathervane in the back is quite a challenge. All that rudder authority that works for you in the air rather works against you on the ground.