Brian Vickers

Well Known Member
I'm a little confused. I'm in the process of overhauling a O320D1A for use in my 4 (finishing). For budgetary reasons I'm using a fixed pitch prop for a while, and will change over to constant speed in near future. I understand about the front plug. For constant speed it gets removed. My brand new crank is hollow but there isn't a rear plug installed. When engines are converted to C/S, are they dismantled to install the rear plug? Is this what you all are doing when converting from fixed pitch to C/S? I looked for a Lyco SB on this but couldn't find anything.

Brian, the rear plug is installed through the front of the crankshaft. Back in 2005 when I switched over to a C/S, "Pop" Owens (Laird's dad), came over with a special tool he had. The new rear plug fits through the front of the crank, slides in under the cross-over tube then is rotated upright (with some long screwdrivers). His tool was machined to fit perfectly into the plug, and it took him less than 5 seconds to knock in the rear plug (less than 5 minutes for the entire task). The rear crank plug number from Van's is EA 61510 CRANK PLUG, and the front crank plug is EA STD 1211 PLUG. I'm sure others will chime in here :) Rosie

crank_punch.jpg

Last edited:
I called Lycoming

Thanks Rosie,
I just talked with Lycoming since I am the proud owner of a new crank from them. Service Instruction or Bulletin 1435 covers this operation. No tear down is needed so I'm going to proceed with my engine overhaul build-up.

That is nice that they have engineered a way to convert the crank without dismantling.

Sincerely, Brian Vickers
RV4 finishing