N184JG

Well Known Member
I have an ECI kit engine IO-360 with hollow crank .On first flight I started getting oil on the windshield so I landed and lost 4 qts of oil in 2 min. I found the crank plug turned 90 deg in the crank, replaced with a new one. With 5 hrs on the engine while doing a run up I blew the plug again. Things that I know oil pressure max 70 psi ,plug installed correctly,very smooth running, crankcase breather open.Looking for answers.

You have a fixed-pitch prop?

Rear crank plug should to be removed or a hole (or two) punched in it. Might as well just remove it with a slide hammer.

Front crank plug installed (convex forward) and pounded in with a crank plug ram (rent from Lycoming) or heavy ball pean hammer positioned in the center of the plug and driven home by an 8 lb. sledge hammer.

(Lycoming told me all of this over the phone.)

Lycoming was adamant that I puncture or remove the rear plug in the crank and not rely on the venting of the prop governor cover plate.

Coincidence

We just covered the crankshaft in the Lycoming Service School today. You don't say it but the symptoms you describe are exactly what you would expect with a fixed pitch prop and both the front and rear plugs installed.

Bob Axsom

Thanks for all the help I will check the rear plug on Sunday when I return from San Antonio. The rear plug was already installed in the crank and I did not put any holes in it.