Inverted

Well Known Member
I am looking at an engine that has a solid crankshaft. It is my understanding that I will need a hollow crankshaft for a CS prop. How expensive(ballpark) will it be to replace the crankshaft when rebuilding the engine? Is it possible to have the solid one modified?

A new crank is about 4k or so.. If you're not planning on overhauling the engine or splitting up the engine before flying.. it would make no sense to buy it.. If you're gonna pay someone to swap cranks for you, you're looking into 5-7k in labor alone.. So, total -- 10-12k to just swap cranks.. assuming everything else is in great shape.

Doesn't sound very economical to me...

BE VERY CAREFUL!

I am looking at an engine that has a solid crankshaft. It is my understanding that I will need a hollow crankshaft for a CS prop. How expensive(ballpark) will it be to replace the crankshaft when rebuilding the engine? Is it possible to have the solid one modified?

Just because an engine has a hollow crank doesn't mean it will accept a C/S prop. There are several other considerations. Like, does it have a governor pad? Does it have the proper front main bearing configuration?

I bought a hollow crank from AERO for 3200.$My engine had a solid crank that was bent,so I already new I was going to change it at overhaul.Makes sense to change it if the engine is coming apart for overhaul but not if you are just going to change cranks.

Guess I should have also mentioned that I called lycoming tech support and told them what I wanted to do and would the parts interchange,they were very helpful.

CRANKS

Depending on the engine model you have will depend on how much extra it will cost to convert at overhaul. The crank will run about 3000.00 plus the gov adapter, tube and shaft gear. The case may cost an extra 250.00 but if it already has the full front main bearing then they will not charge any extra to just drill the hole for the constant speed. If the crank from your engine is good then you can figure on about 1500.00 credit for a repairable core. You can also find another builder that needs a solid front main crank and make them a deal. That will cut the EXTRA cost down a bit.

Jesse