apatti

Well Known Member
OK, I am not too bright. Now that that is established... It is a long story but suffice it to say that I carelessly used the wrong size punch (too big) for one of the eyeball firewall feedthroughs (the other one is fine). My corrective action plan is to rivet an .040 AL doubler plate on the foreward side of the firewall across both holes (the good one and the one too big). For extra support, I am making the plate large enough to go all the over to one of the angle supports that are on the aft side of the firewall. In addition to several rivets, I will use proseal between the AL and firewall. Then, I will punch new holes in the AL sheet to accomodate the eyeball feedthroughs. This time I will be more careful.

Anyone see anything wrong with this plan??

Thanks,

Wrong materials

In order to maintain the integrity (fireproof) of the firewall, I suggest using stainless steel instead of aluminum, and either high temp RTV or firewall sealant not Proseal. Aluminum melts too easily (that's why the firewall is SS) and Proseal burns readily.

When I bought my (flying) RV-9A, the fuel was fed to the engine through a rubber fuel hose that passed straight through the firewall via a rubber grommet. Not cool! :eek: I ended up totally redoing all the fuel plumbing, using accepted methods and practices, and at the end was left with a ~3/4" hole where the old grommet used to be. I patched it with a piece of stainless steel sheet, affixed with stainless blind rivets and sealed with high-temp RTV. Worked great for me, and should work in your case as well. As Dennis said, don't use aluminum - it's not as nearly as fireproof as stainless is.

good luck,
mcb