s10sakota

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I'm sure there is a fix for this, but I'm not exactly sure how to do it.

What you are looking at in the pic below is the rear spar. The row of rivets is holding the aft end of the wing rib to the rear spar.

This is the first wing I built, and I didn't realize that I need to leave one rivet out in each rib for the aileron and flap seals. So, I had to drill it out. No matter how I tried, I could not find the center of the rivet to drill and ended up with the figure 8 hole shown in the pic.

Do they make an oops rivet for the AN470AD4-X rivets? I've searched the forums here and only find information about the AN426AD3- oops rivets.

I need a few AN470AD4-X rivets for two other holes also; they are nice and round, just enlarged. I'm thinking for the double hole in the pic I can drill it out for an oops rivet, and then maybe add a little plate under the manufactured head?

First off, do a search for rivet removal techniques. Never drill through a rivet as this will happen almost every time.

I am not a fan of oops rivets for structural components. Actually, I am not a fan of them at all.... there are none in my airframe. However, this is a 470 not a 426 so no need for that.

You have several options to fix.
You can drill the hole out and hope you can get a good hole in the next size up rivet and have the edge distance on the rib flange to do it. It will not be easy to drive even if you can do this and keep tolerances.

You could clean up the hole and place a rivet on each side of it. You need to insure that you are within tolerance for distance between rivets (pitch), and maintain edge distance to the new hole.

Those are just a couple ideas.

I would note that this is a "spar". Technically speaking, the only acceptable repair to a spar is that which is engineered by the manufacturer. While it is true you are the manufacturer, I believe the intent is the actual engineers who designed it. That means a call to Van's. However, this is a common and simple repair.

Hi all,

Do they make an oops rivet for the AN470AD4-X rivets? I've searched the forums here and only find information about the AN426AD3- oops rivets.

The Oops rivet for a AN470 rivet would be the next size up since there is no existing dimple to fit.

If the hole will drill out cleanly to 5/32 and all edge distances met, it should be an acceptable repair.

I sent Vans the pic so I will post their thoughts about it here when they reply. As I was typing this, I'm thinking I may be able to drill it out to 3/16" and put an AN bolt in there!

I have some nice bolts I "borrowed" from the F-16 that are 3/16" and have a nice low profile round head that may work well. Again, I'll ask Vans...

I made a similar mistake except on the main spar, and an AN3 bolt was the recommended fix. May be for you as well if a -5 rivet won't do the trick.

Chris

You could start by drilling #19 and see if you get a clean hole for a #8 screw and nut. If not, the #12 for an AN3 bolt or #10 screw. Any of these, with proper edge distances, should be stronger Han te rivet called for.