prkaye

Well Known Member
is there a special technique, or tool, for holding little washers in position? In places like where you have washes next to rod end bearings to fill the gap between the bearing and the clevis, i find holding those washers in position while i try to slip the bolt through, to be very tricky.

Frustrating, isn't it?

I've used tweezers for that application, but mostly, I take a 1/2" or narrower strip of aluminum and cut a v-shaped notch in one end to give the washer a notch to rest in. Then I put a piece of duct tape on the little aluminum strip and leave just a little of it exposed over the v shaped notch. The tape will keep the washer from falling out of the notch.

Run a piece of string or fishline through all the holes with the washers included in their proper sequence. Pull the string taut and all the washers will pull up into their proper location.

Avery wrenches make a big difference

is there a special technique, or tool, for holding little washers in position? In places like where you have washes next to rod end bearings to fill the gap between the bearing and the clevis, i find holding those washers in position while i try to slip the bolt through, to be very tricky.

Avery's washer wrenches make a big difference. I was 3 years into my project before I learned about them. It makes it a little less frustrating, but you still need to buy two or three quarts of patience from Aircraft Spruce.

Grease here

I put alittle grease on each side of the washer and place it in position.
The grease holds it steady while you put the bolt in.

I'm careful not to put grease on parts which later will be primed or painted

Regards Alf Olav Frog / Norway

More techniques

Sometimes I put electrical tape around the outside of the washers. Sometimes I grab the edge of one with a forceps (cheapo version). Then try, and try...

I used the same tape method but I use thin scotch tape and only attached it to one side. I did buy the tool from Avery and have since stopped worrying about it.

Dbl.-sided tape stuck on the end on my 24" steel rule. Place the washer on the tape with the hole hanging completely off the end of the rule. When the washer is on the bolt give the ruler a tug and your good to go.

Works for starting nuts too. Like the ones that go in-between the wing c-sections.

I've used the fishline technique to good results, but when I bought my washer wrenches late in the build, I hit myself for not buying them sooner.

And after reading the thread(s) about the control stick/bearing/bolt action, I'm going to take mine apart and check to see if I did my correctly. Part of me --without the wrenches -- would say "Oh, it's working fine, don't bother since those little washers are a PITA," but last night I found myself saying, "what's the bother, you've got the wrenches?"