BruceP

Well Known Member
Can I use this port on my O-320 for the Hobbs pressure switch? I have used the only other port that the switch will fit into for the oil pressure sensor. Thanks!

DSC02164_zpsfcebf568.jpg

The best way is to mount a manifold on the firewall (via flex line) and keep the sensors off the engine.

Off engine?

Doesn't that add the risk of a blown oil line resulting in oil loss? Is an oil sensor sensitive to vibration? :confused:

CC

The best way is to mount a manifold on the firewall (via flex line) and keep the sensors off the engine.

Sensors are subject to breakage when engine mounted, standard practice is to remote mount sensors via flex line.
Use the oil pressure line which "should" have a restrictor fitting in it anyway.

Not Trying to Stael the Thread, but...

Does the Hobbs meter have to have a separate pressure switch? Is there any reason it can't use the same sensor that sends the oil pressure indication? I ask because my -4 doesn't have a Hobbs meter and I would like to install one, but I don't want to mount another sensor and all that.

You want a seperate pressure switch. If you have the Vans firewall manifold you can usually add it right there.

Does the Hobbs meter have to have a separate pressure switch? Is there any reason it can't use the same sensor that sends the oil pressure indication? I ask because my -4 doesn't have a Hobbs meter and I would like to install one, but I don't want to mount another sensor and all that.

You can use the B&C oil pres switch for both idiot lite and hobbs:

I have a pressure sensor that has two terminals on it. I was told to connect the line from the EIS to the terminal marked as G. I'm wandering if the other one, (cannot remember it's markings , might be SW )not being used could be used for the hobbs? If not what is it's function?
Thanks Ron

If it has two terminals, one goes to ground, and the other goes to your gauge.
You cannot use pressure sensors to control a 12v hobbs.

If you have a pressure switch that has two terminals, then one is closed (under low pressure) and is used for warning light. The other is open till the pressure closes it and turns on the hobbs meter.