RV7Guy

Well Known Member
I have intended to bring this up but until the recent tragic event in Canada, I had forgot. Anytime there is a gathering of RV pilots and the subject is brought up, there is always a flurry of responses. "I remember one time, I hit the canopy so hard, my first kid was born dizzy." "Yeah, me too." And, so on.

In October, I was returning from Visalia CA to Chandler, AZ with a friend on board. I also do a full on briefing before each flight with the passenger. In this case, my preflight weather check included a significant tail wind on both legs. On the second leg it would be nearly 35-40 kts. I briefed on the possibility of turbulence and sheer.

After making the turn to the second leg we were seeing ground speeds in excess of 230 kts. I told my friend that we were hauling A but being in the mountains could also create sheer. Well sure enough, just East of Twenty Nine Palms we hit sheer that jammed us both into the canopy very hard. The ball cap I wear doesn't have the little button on the top, so I didn't drive that into my head. And, I have Clarity Aloft headsets so nothing on top of the head there. We hit so hard that I was expecting canopy damage. Thankfully, none occurred. FYI, I've got about 1" clearance head to canopy. Not much!!!

The auto pilot was on. We were both dazed considerably. I had a large area on the left side of my head that swollen and sore. My friend about the same. We continued on and agreed to check on how each of felt during the last hour of the flight. We were both fine but wanted to keep checking. The Natsha Richardson head injury death was on our mind.

We were fine but over the next few days, we still had head aches and sore necks but eventually completely recovered.

I know there was an accident in CA a few years ago where an 8 pilot was lost and it was believed he may have been knocked out after hitting turbulence. I wonder how many other unexplained accidents could be from the same thing?

Sadly, it is extremely hard to determine because of the extensive trauma to the body leaving not much for autopsy examination.

I have flown with a 5 point and it helps some, however any time you are sitting on a cushion there is room for movement. Even strapped in to the point of discomfort, with extreme sheer, you're gonna move.

I wanted to throw this out there in the interest of safety.

How many have had this happen to them?

What can we do to improve the reduction of canopy hits?

Lets all fly safely. No more lost RV Sisters and Brothers.

First off, the only time I have hit turbulence anywhere near this bad was a night flight, long ago, in a C-150. From totally smooth air we hit shear that made a quart of oil in the back do damage to the ceiling and land in the front seat. There is more headroom in the 150, so we didn't hit anything with our heads.

Secure anything in the baggage compartment, if for no other reason than to avoid canopy damage. I wear QT headsets, and I believe your incident speaks volumes for behind-the-head units, or at least having well-padded headsets. I (almost) always wear a Tilly hat--impossible with normal headsets--that has a layer of foam padding in the top. It has made a big difference on those occasions where I have conked my head on the ground, and I expect it would in flight also. I wouldn't consider wearing a cap with a topknot, and I never loosen my seatbelt.

I would like to know your airspeed at the time. At least in the 9, dropping below 150 mph TAS does wonders for lessening the effects of turbulence. If it gets really rough, I cease to be in much of a hurry.

Bob Kelly

P.S. Since I have a custom carbon fiber canopy, I built in an extra inch of headroom. I'm 6'4". This might even be possible with the standard setup, but it would take some welding.

Last edited:
What Canada accident are you referring to?

I use a baggage area cover in my 6A to prevent possible damage

Flying back to Canada from Idaho recently we encountered wind shear too... We had been scooting along around 190mph indicated in calm air, but slowed down as it got bumpy and the tailwinds increased. Eventually we were indicating 150mph but still showing 200mph groundspeed on the GPS. As we exited the region we hit a couple of quite bad bumps, one levitated my charts and flight guide off the seat to the level of the canopy rail, but I guess either I was strapped in tight enough or I sit lower in the cockpit... I didn't hit the canopy either way.

Unexpected turbulence causing a head injury is an interesting theory for the accident in Ontario... It would certainly explain the lack of communication from the pilot.

[edit] I should add that my -6 didn't come with baggage tie-downs... But I just received them in the mail, and will be looking at how to retrofit them to an existing airplane with a riveted-in baggage floor. If necessary i'd drill out the pop rivets holding it down and re-attach, but i'd prefer to avoid that. Baggage tiedowns are a must, though. I don't know how much my flight bag moved in the back during that bump, I couldn't see it.

They're cheap insurance, too, they were only $10 each: http://pitposse.com/quditian.html

Last edited:
[edit] I should add that my -6 didn't come with baggage tie-downs... But I just received them in the mail, and will be looking at how to retrofit them to an existing airplane with a riveted-in baggage floor. If necessary i'd drill out the pop rivets holding it down and re-attach, but i'd prefer to avoid that. Baggage tiedowns are a must, though. I don't know how much my flight bag moved in the back during that bump, I couldn't see it.

The tiedowns on the floor of my RV-6 were cut from scrap 1" aluminum angle and attached to floor ribs with steel pulled rivets. The tiedowns protrude through slits cut in the carpet on the baggage compartment floor.

tiedown.jpg

The $$$'s was zilch since the materials came out of my scrap box and the project took about one hour total time (no need to pull up the floor). Shouldn't be any issues with strength (100lbs X -3G / 4 tiedowns = 75lbs each).

Last edited:
I sit tall in the saddle, so to speak, and found I needed to remove the wedge from under my seat cushion. I added a layer of carpet and some 3/4" high density foam under the main seat cushion in place of the wedge. This gave me more head clearance. I hit some shear one day that sent me upwards so hard my headset flew off. Fortunately my belts were tight and my upward trajectory was halted before smacking the canaopy.

Roberta

And shy away from hats with the beany buttons.

For a long time I have thought hitting the head on the canopy hard is the cause of some accidents. I first started thinking about it after hitting my own head hard on the canopy, first of a Schweizer 1-26 and later my RV-6. Both of these aircraft have relatively low wing loadings.

One accident I am pretty familiar with is only reasonably explained by the aircraft rolling inverted and doing a half split S during a cross country flight. By far the most likely cause of that, to me, would be the pilot getting knocked out or stunned and turbulence causing the aircraft to get inverted. This accident happened just past the first ridge after a long flat stretch. The pilot had been cruising at around 2,500 AGL with winds of around 70 knots on the tail.

Last edited:
Crotch strap on the belts to me is a must. I do not understand why so many planes don't have them. Makes all the difference in the world in turbulence (or inverted flight as well for those so inclined!). They can be retrofitted into finished planes, no big deal.

I think the crotch strap is a good idea, especially if the head clearance is minimal. I did not have one in my 7A. The regular belt setup stopped me before hitting the canopy, but I did have the extra room by not using the seat wedge and I do keep the belts tight. Some things to consider.

Roberta

I find I sit pretty close to the canopy in Louise's -6, and have hit my head a couple of times where it got my notice! No crotch straps in that airplane (it was kit #4). In the -8, I have a lot more clearance - but also have crotch straps. I know I feel much more securely "strapped down" in the -8.....I might just have to suggest a harness retrofit in the -6.

The RV-3 is definitely going to have 5-points!

Mild bumps to the head can be deadly...

One of my co workers lost her 32 year old son to a very mild bump on the head in the home. Bumped head, didn't think much of it, went to bed and never woke up...

Also remember reading the tale of a helicopter pilot flying along at low altitude one moment, only to find himself waking up among a pile of smoking wreckage in the next. After extensive tests to try figure out the cause without success, he eventually returned to flight only to have it almost happen again. Seems he hit a little chop and it drove his head into the cabin roof, but this time did not knock him out.

There is a 4 point in the -8, but I have pretty good canopy clearance compared to the Hiperbipe. In that airplane the spar carry through is directly above and very near my head. I do have a 5 point AND a supplemental lap belt for each seat that does a very good job of keeping us in place. So far we have been able to anticipate the severe bumps and get cinched up, but I know that they can come out of nowhere sometimes.

Short of just building in more clearance somehow, a 5 point and SOME padding on the head is minimum way to minimize this hazard.

After a bit of time in the saddle, how many of us retighten our seatbelts? You don't need to ratchet them down as if you are going to do some negative acro, just enough to snug them after the cushions warm up and compress.

Just a thought.

...[edit] I should add that my -6 didn't come with baggage tie-downs... But I just received them in the mail, and will be looking at how to retrofit them to an existing airplane with a riveted-in baggage floor. If necessary i'd drill out the pop rivets holding it down and re-attach, but i'd prefer to avoid that. Baggage tiedowns are a must, though. I don't know how much my flight bag moved in the back during that bump, I couldn't see it.

They're cheap insurance, too, they were only $10 each: http://pitposse.com/quditian.html
Scroll to the bottom of this page and see my simple solution. There are many ways to skin this cat.

Scroll to the bottom of this page and see my simple solution. There are many ways to skin this cat.
I like it. Mine have a round base, not a square one, but still only two screws holding them down. Can you install the rivnuts blind, ie. without access to the back of the holes? I'd prefer not to lift the floor if I can avoid it...

Ratchet Harness

It might be too much for your application but this is what I use and reccommend 5 point Hooker Harness with an extra Safety lap belt with a Rachet. http://www.hookerharness.com/aviationaerobatic.php youo wont move at all!!!

if too much, I strongly reccomed this one instead with the military style buckles http://www.hookerharness.com/aviationsport.php
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Pitts S1S, and Christen Eagle II both had Hooker ratchet type dual harness installed which kept you from moving at all during hard aerobatics. I installed similar seat belts in the Doll made by American Parachute. When in turbulence, I crank the ratchet tighter to prevent hitting the canopy. Unlike the Hookers, they are a single seat belt, four point system. I couldn't get Hooker to build me a single belt system.

You can keep them just snug for most flights, but when needed, you can ratchet them tight across your waist. When tight, even flying inverted, you stay put!

Last edited: