smokyray

Well Known Member
Guys,
Have my eye on a like new HIO-360 removed from an Enstrom Helicopter in lieu of a Turbine. Is the HIO the same dimensions as an Angle Valve A1B6? Think I could shoehorn it into my RV6 cowl? Bigger than a parallel valve 360 but is mounted level in the Enstrom just like an airplane.
My thoughts are bolting it right up to my current conical mount in place of the 0320 ND, plumb a intake scat from the stock intake to the rear induction, new baffles and oil cooler. Should work, in theory. New Catto prop for higher HP (solid crank) Anybody ever done it?
Thoughts?

V/R
Smokey

You sure you want a Heli' engine?

Most of the helicopter engines I've dealt with only develop max power at a higher rpm.

Smokey, I almost did this exact thing as I hangar next to a helicopter service that runs an A model Enstrom to TBO every couple of years. They typically were running perfectly when unbolted and swapped for a reman. Found a rebuilt C1D6 locally for a good price though.

There were a few issues IIRC, but nothing unsolvable. The exhaust, baffling, and intake are wrong, of course.

The engine uses the problematic "Siamese" magneto, but that's not an issue if you switch to an electronic ignition.

I have a vague memory of some other issue with the accessory case, but don't remember exactly. I do remember deciding it was possible on an rv-8

It may have a solid crank and no governer pad IIRC

Last edited:
Got a Buddy that works on the Enstrom Helos pretty much everyday... has had a lot off fuel servo/fuel metering issues with this engine. I remember one he sent out 2-3 times for repair before it would function properly. That helo was almost band from the shop! :eek:

HIO-

Might glean some info from preview plans and instructions. There is a pretty complete list of Lyc. models with the different dash numbers with their differences in there. As you know there's a 40lb. weight penalty with the angle valve engines.

IIRC some of the HIO's turned a couple or three hundred rpms faster to achieve more hp. If this is one of those, coupled with the right prop it would sure "nuff" make a HOSS!

If you go with it, look into the EFII Dual Redundant Electronic Ignition. I got rid of my "siamese" mag completely and am a big fan of Robert Paisley's electronic system.

Last edited:
IIRC some of the HIO's turned a couple or three hundred rpms faster to achieve more hp. If this is one of those, coupled with the right prop it would sure "nuff" make a HOSS!

It's been a while, so I might be off a little, but that engine in the helicopter runs either 2900 or 2950 RPM from takeoff to touchdown. Rated HP is I think 225@2900RPM

Have an HO-360 in a Starduster Too, according to the dataplate it is 190HP @ 3000RPM. It also has straight mounts instead of conical or dynafocal.

Had a HIO-360C1A out of an Enstrom on my Skybolt , 205hp ,8.7:1 ,RSA 5 fuel Inj , 2 Bendix Mags . The intake can easily be machined to move the the servo to the front. The intake is also a "poor mans" cold air sump " .

Mo power!

Thanks for the inputs guys, should be fun! I've bolted many engines into RVs, shoehorning an Angle Valve into the RVX will be interesting!
Letcha know how it goes :)

V/R
Smokey

This is what I did

Yes I have the HIO-360-C1A fitted to my RV 6
It can be done with relative ease there are two main mods that are needed and a few other minor ones.
My engine mount is a dynafocal type 2 The cross bar at the back of the engine stops the throttle body from being mounted.. The sump has been cast with the provision of allowing a front mounted throttle body, you just have to machine out the opening to allow the adapter from the rear opening to fit. Then add some studs and just bolt on the throttle body. A couple of minor mods to do with routing the mixture and throttle cables. I made a ¼ inch thick aluminum plate which left long studs, So I mounted the cable holders on these. I found the snorkel the best option for the air feed but had to modify that slightly to fit, it was not a biggy.
RocketBob you are almost right the engine won’t fit under the cowl. I got around this by installing “Power bumps” on the cowl, the top corner of the front two cylinders (1 and 2) need a bit of room to move around especially on start so my power bumps are just big enough to allow this to happen. My baffle rubber fits over and in them and makes a good seal
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=80458 This is my beast and if you look closely at the cowl you can just make out my “power bumps” The 200HP is a bit tongue in cheek. The manual says the C series is good for 205 HP @ 2900. I have red lined mine at 2700 rpm which reduces (according to the good book around 195HP but with electronic mags we have guessed it will be somewhere close to the 200) (That decal was put on to make me better than my mate’s RV7 with the O-360 (180HP) which incidentally we have found our performance to be very similar)
I have a Catto prop fitted
What can I do
At 7000 feet (DA) 2700rpm (takes half a minute or so to get there) 180Knots TAS (VNE) fuel burn a glorious 12 usgals/hr.
At 7000 (DA) 2350 rpm gives me 155knts TAS (VMO) fuel burn of 7 gals /hr
At 7000 (DA) 2250 rpm gives me 145kts TAS fuel burn of 6 gals /hr
So with fuel down here at about $9.52 per gallon I usually cruse around at 145Kts
If you have any questions feel free to ask

Regards

Bruce

Last edited:
The -8 I fly has an HIO under the hood, I also have a parallel valve HIO hanging off the mount on my Pacer project... In most cases, the crank, cam and jugs are interchangeable (same part number) with the airplane parts - the higher power of the helicopter engines is simply the result of winding them up higher. Or, in other words, you could turn the airplane engines to 2900 - 3000 RPM and get the same performance. Aside from strange engine mounting provisions, the servo is often a mixture compensating device that is unique to the helicopter, and the magneto drive gears are "dampened" in some models. Other than that, there's often no major difference between helicopter or airplane models.

Mo power? Yes!

Bruce/Michael, all,

THANKS!!! Quick question, I already have a conical mount on my RVX for the 0320. The engine I am looking at also is conical. Are they the same dimensions? (Should be right?) also, what is the designator difference between a parallel valve and angle valve HIO, same as non H? A "B" designation after the 360A1 normally means angle valve. Bruce, I will attempt to emulate your installation. Can you email me any photos?

V/R
Smokey
[email protected]

Often the lower HP ratings on the HIO engines can be found in the operating manual.
Some are rated at a higher altitude, others with a reduced intake manifold pressure. That would give lower rated HP than the 'aircraft rating'.
Mahlon says they all share the same cam. I would believe the HIO engines are more powerful because of the higher rated RPM, and some props, like CATO have a 3200 RPM redline.
I'm thinking a finer pitch that gives good climb and local flight performance would be good, because on those days when you have to 'go fast' the fine pitch will give a higher max rpm, hopefully close to 3200. :eek:
Keep us informed with lots of pictures!
I always thought if my Turbo Rotary doesn't work out, an HIO-360 would be a candidate.

Bruce/Michael, all,

THANKS!!! Quick question, I already have a conical mount on my RVX for the 0320. The engine I am looking at also is conical. Are they the same dimensions? (Should be right?)...

In my case, the HIO-360 bolted right up to the conical mount that used to hold the 320. One other thing to watch for is with the Dynafocal mounts on helicopter engines - sometimes they are the different angle (type 2?) used on the 6 cylinders and four bangers that use prop extensions (like Twin Commanchies).