g zero

Well Known Member
I am thinking of trading my Cessna 120 for a Steen Skybolt ( I need something acro to hold me over til I finish my RV8) The Skybolt has a HIO 360 CIA serial # L-12747-51-A .an angle valve 205 hp that was in an Enstrom helicopter. Will this motor work in my RV ?

Thanks G ZERO

If it hasn't been modified for it's current installation, you will have to replace or modify the intake/oil sump to be forward facing instead or rear facing as it is on a stock HIO-360-C1A. Additionally, after that mod you may need to replace or modify the fuel servo and fuel nozzle plumbing because the HIO-360-C1A used a very unique fuel injection setup with out a flow divider. That setup would still work in the application but you would need different plumbing and you might have fit issues with it since the servo was relocated. Worst case you will need to replace the FI system and oil sump with a system from or for an IO-360-A series slant valve 200HP engine.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

There is a HIO-360-C1A hanging on the nose of the RV-8 in my hangar right now. In fact, according to the SN, it is only 17 units newer than yours. It goes like a bat out of **** too (and it's a front servo).

HIO 360 cia

the motor has been in this plane for 500 hrs (aprox) it has a rear facing intake. I would assume the FI has been modified to work in a plane ( VS helo) . It looks like I am going to own this plane Sunday after our breakfast flight. If I decide to use it in my RV8 (2 years????) can I go with a cold air intake and foward face the servo???

Some of the helicopter servos have an altitude compensating mixture control, but if this engine is on a flying Skybolt, I'm guessing it has a standard RSA-5 servo. To the cold air induction - Though it is now rear facing, some of these sumps have provisions cast into them for a forward mounted servo. It is not hard to machine them for mounting studs and the induction hole. At that point it is simply a matter of bolting a plate over the rear servo location to seal it off.

But then what will the Skybolt fly with? My non-helpful reply to this technical thread. I'd hate to see a Skybolt scraped to make an RV fly.

HIO 360

Is a Skybolt not a biplane? Does it not require a round engine for esthetics? That is a great idea, just replace the HIO-360 with a round engine.

The Skybolt is coming along ( RV 8 in not) .My plans for the Bolt might be a 540 or a radial when it comes time for the RV to fly.
The servo is the RSA 5AD1, I just sent it to AvStar for overhaul.The cylinders are at Moore Performance in Edgewater.The bottom end looks great,just need to get the new oil pump gears (AD). Any input on mags / elec,ign.???