crabandy

Well Known Member
Rough sketch and layout for my under the panel hinged fuse tray, planning on hinge closest to fuse blocks (left side of pic is hinge side to subpanel) with room for avionics and seat heat relays above fuse blocks. 1 main buss, 1 avionics with I be backup battery.
Is 2 inches adequate spacing to run the wires between fuse blocks?
Should I make it larger?
Hinge/fuse blocks oriented the best way?
The IBBS battery says not to mount behind panel, where have others mounted it?
Thanks,
Andy
FE1A89C2-AC7B-4685-BA43-292071879887-2439-000001509E167571_zps792aa287.jpg

Fuse Block

Andy,
Here's what I did and it worked out fine. Maybe not the best picture but the two busses on the panel are main and avionics. The third fuse block is the battery buss and I mounted in on the sub panel just above the other two. On the tipper that seemed to work out the best for me and the way I routed wires. If I had it to do over again, I would have used 1/4 turn fasteners to hold it up rather than screws.

02-07-10-01.jpg

Found another picture if it helps:

03-28-10-03.jpg

Last edited:
I have the leftover the fastners Vans sent for the oil door (I used flush buttons) that I might use, have to mount them horizontally to keep them out of the passengers knees though.

Here are a couple of photos of the location I used for an Avionics and Main fuse block.

RV9Aphoto32_zps4aaf4363.jpg.html

RV9Aphoto35_zpsa48e41a2.jpg.html

Attached a piece of angle to the two braces between the sub-panel and the firewall. They drop down with fuses facing forward. The hinge pin will be tie wired so removal is easy, if necessary. They are attached on the forward end to the sub-panel flange with a spring loaded twist fastener.
Jim

The problems I've seen with hinged fuse panels is by the time you get all the wires installed the bundle has become quite rigid, consequently the panel does not like to pivot without undue stress on the wires.

Allow for twist

The problems I've seen with hinged fuse panels is by the time you get all the wires installed the bundle has become quite rigid, consequently the panel does not like to pivot without undue stress on the wires.

I agree.... so I routed all of my incoming power wires in a single bundle with about a 9 inch straight section and two Adel clamps. If I keep the closest Adel clamp a little oversize I plan on letting the straight length of the bundle just twist over the 9 inches.

We'll see how this works out, but it looks OK so far with over 50% of the wires connected - the rest are in process....:)

The 2 inch spacing is OK since all of the 1/4 inch tabs are at a 45 degree angle or so. The wires running in between the two blocks can be made into a single bundle.

Last edited:
I just went through a power wiring upgrade. (Thanks Stien). I looked at a hinge set up but ended up just screwing the tray down. Much simpler. The odds of needing ready access to your fuse panel is about the same as in your car. When was the last time you blew a fuse in your car?
Also, if you do blow a fuse in the air, what do you intend to do about it? The only resettable breaker I have access to is my Alt. field.

Hhmmmm...

Here's a shot of my panel layout, what about making a solid floor behind the co-pilot side of the panel and mounting the circuit breakers there and accessing through a removable front plate. I don't plan on putting any instruments on the copilot side so the size in the pic should be the size of the access panel. The pilot side will house the GSU73 for a 2 screen G3X.
Thanks,
Andy
66E404DA-B0A7-4172-9630-1A4BF5AA4F3B-3262-000001AF88E76A6B.jpg

My concern so far is with the 8g main feed wire to the fuse block.

It will twist with the rest of the bundle but I am concerned with the stress on the ring terminal. I think that specific wire will need a solid mounting tie next to the fuse block buss bar connection.