humptybump

Well Known Member
There's been a number of posts regarding "oops I forgot" and in-flight emergencies. Today, I started reorganizing my POH. I inherited it with the RV-8 (I'm a buyer not a builder).

I'm not really happy with the POH as it is today. It's a series of of 5x8 pages in plastic sleeves with 2 circular clips. The idea is to flip the pages over the top. All the sleeves have pages front and back. So, until today, you would read one page, flip it to the back, turn the POH around to read the back, turn it back to read the next page, flip .....

Today, I reorganized the pages. Now, all my standard procedures are on one side of each sleeve and all emergency procedures are on the other. This way, I "flip" but I only every turn the entire POH around when there is an emergency - and then it stays that way and I just "flip". My next "improvement" will be to print emergency procedures on colored paper so they are obvious.

I still think there is room for a lot of improvement in usability.

What do others use for their in-cockpit POH and emergency procedures?

I printed out the Normal and Emergency Checklist parts of my POH on separate sheets and had them laminated. They sit on my knee board. The rest of my POH shouldn't have any info I need to access in flight.

I find these Air force Crew Check List binders work well.

OTRE510.jpg

They have clear sleeves inside that will take a half sheet of paper - just print your check lists with a type size to suit your age and populate the pages yourself.

Sold by a few pilot shops and sometimes fly markets and on Ebay --

http://www.pilotshop.com/flight-cre...edium=product_search&utm_source=google-simple

I printed out the Normal and Emergency Checklist parts of my POH on separate sheets and had them laminated. They sit on my knee board. The rest of my POH shouldn't have any info I need to access in flight.

Kevin,
Your POH is the best I've seen for the -8! I mine looks very similar, hope you don't mind the plegarism...;)

Gill - the "sleeves"I was referring to are almost the same as what you posted. Thanks for the pic. In my case, the binder rings are at the top rather than the side.

Gill - the "sleeves"I was referring to are almost the same as what you posted. Thanks for the pic. In my case, the binder rings are at the top rather than the side.

The rings on the left make it like a normal book, and the three rings seem to work much better than the binders from the stationery store...

Flipping up wards doesn't sound easy....:(

No flipping is easy with just one hand. In an emergency one hand has a 110% workload already :)

I'm going to play around with font size and layout to see what fits on a single "card". The font needs to b pretty big to reduce "hunt time". I think a single hard plastic card, double sided may be my best option.

Kevin,
Your POH is the best I've seen for the -8! I mine looks very similar, hope you don't mind the plegarism...;)

There aren't many original ideas in my POH either. Take whatever you want - just make sure all the info you use is actually applicable to your aircraft.