burgundyja

Well Known Member
what is the highest you have been in a vans rv? No harmon no f1 no turbo no tiger no sr71 you get the idea. i have been to 17500:eek: but i am not ifr:mad:. also what kind of fuel burn and true airspeed did you get above 18000?

The rate of climb at 25500 ft was zero, at 20,000 it was 500 ft/min. ATC also told me that's what they figured it was. They a wager amongst themselves how high I was going to get up to. I switched to a full face mask at 20k with a built in mike. I can't remember the make. I think Cessna had their name on it. Yes you normally need an IFR clearance to go above 18,000 ft but I have an area here that If I give ATC 12 hours notice they will make it active and keep others out of it and it has no ceiling.

Rocket..

Anybody know how high an EVO Rocket has been?

I am afraid my ignition system would blow out my sparkplug wires but if I could keep it from cross-firing, I gotta believe i could easily get to FL280...

Maybe i will have to try that this fall.... I have an MBU-20 mask, but i need to find a portable demand regulator....

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

Is getting a clearance to go above 18,000' for non-IFR pilots easy to get just by asking in the USA?

You must be on IFR flight plan to go above 18K AGL is the US. That said, you must be instrument rated.

You must be on IFR flight plan to go above 18K AGL is the US. That said, you must be instrument rated.
Generally true but there are exceptions. For instance there are several "wave windows" that allow VFR flight above 18,000. I have been to 30,000 feet VFR and without an engine, legally, in Colorado.

17,500 for me

In my 8A, 360 carb fp. I didn't write down any numbers however climb was in the 300-400 fpm area, speed was slow, it was cold. Thats the highest I have ever been in a plane I was flying, I knew I was way up there when I saw a lear go shootin by.

I've been right to 18000 (19500 DA) in my 9A (by myself, 3/4 fuel), still climbing at several hundred fpm (I didn't actually look at the rate of climb). I expect one of these days to test the service ceiling but haven't gotten around to it yet.

greg

I did my service ceiling testing on my RV-10. Started at max gross (2800 for me). Climbed right above the airport on an IFR flight plan. 20,100 and still 100 fpm. Above that by another 100 feet but rate of climb was going below 100 fpm. ATC was calling every 30 seconds or so because I was interfering with incoming traffic into SLC and they wanted me to get out of the way.

Flight was pre coordinated with SLC ATC.