Yukon

Well Known Member
In an effort to make more room for the Flow-Scan fuel flow transmitter, and comply with their requirement of 6" of fuel line distance past the fuel filter for fuel turbulence issues, I have moved my battery one hole distance up the firewall (about 3 inches).

I've been looking at it for a week and can't visualize any problem with it, but wondering if you guys see any possible issues with raising the battery 3 inches? Much unused space above factory battery placement.

As you can see, lots of room is created for a neat and uncluttered placement of the transmitter, as well as making room for the fuel line to run cleanly to the fuel pump.

[img=http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/3343/june72007009xj6.th.jpg]

Comments........

Last edited:
I don't personally see any issue with that. Just make sure there's not much too close above it so you can slide the battery up and out. I'm sure you're already considering that. I know one guy who mounted something right above his battery without thinking about it, and he ended up "hinging" his battery box to be able to get it out (which I don't think is as strong now).

John, I don't think that will be a problem.

You will need a longer cable from the battery to the contactor. Also I would put fire sleeve over your line that goes from the gasulator to the sensor. I think that any fuel lines forward of the firewall should be fire sleeved.

Kent

John, maybe there is a problem.

This weekend I had my cowl off to look at the battery box clearance. I my box was any higher (I used the standard vans position) I think that I would have an interference problem with my right mag. The mag would be only be about 1/2 inch ahead of the battery box and with the shake of the engine with start-up and shutdown, I am not sure you wouldn't have a problem.

Kent

kentb said:
This weekend I had my cowl off to look at the battery box clearance. I my box was any higher (I used the standard vans position) I think that I would have an interference problem with my right mag. The mag would be only be about 1/2 inch ahead of the battery box and with the shake of the engine with start-up and shutdown, I am not sure you wouldn't have a problem.

Kent

Kent,

I have the 0-235 with a longer mount, so that doesn't seem to be an issue for me. I have 2 3/4 inches clearance between the Slick mag and the battery.

I am so happy with the floscan installation, if I had the 0-320, I think I would consider one of those little Lightspeed mags on the right side, if for no other reason than to clean up the firewall with this battery box move. Just my humble opinion.

Yukon said:
...if I had the 0-320, I think I would consider one of those little Lightspeed mags on the right side, if for no other reason than to clean up the firewall with this battery box move. Just my humble opinion.
Wha?!? Yukon, you must be saying that just to earn brownie points here on VAF. I'm marking my calendar. June 11th is now officially "Yukon Said He'd Consider an Electronic Ignition" day. :D Next thing you know, he'll be preaching about LOP. :eek:

Juuuust kidding around, Yukon. Looks like you'll be in the air soon!

dan said:
Wha?!? Yukon, you must be saying that just to earn brownie points here on VAF. I'm marking my calendar. June 11th is now officially "Yukon Said He'd Consider an Electronic Ignition" day. :D Next thing you know, he'll be preaching about LOP. :eek:

Juuuust kidding around, Yukon. Looks like you'll be in the air soon!

Notice I said Lightspeed!!!!!!!

Yukon said:
Notice I said Lightspeed!!!!!!!
Yeah, sure did. For a second I thought you were talking about headsets, because surely Yukon wouldn't be talking about an EI on his own plane. ;)

... LOP ops on an O-235...

That'd be fun to try!

"Yes, we're cruising along a 110kts burning 2.5GPH... :D"

Battery placement

Sort of a related question I just finished installing the battery case and the battery and starter contactors yesterday in the standard vans positions and the top of the battery contactor is intruding slightly into the bottom of the battery box. I have rechecked the measurements and the specified bolt hole locations and cannot see an error but wonder if I have missed something.
Any ideas :confused:

Although it is close, it should fit.

uk_figs said:
Sort of a related question I just finished installing the battery case and the battery and starter contactors yesterday in the standard vans positions and the top of the battery contactor is intruding slightly into the bottom of the battery box. I have rechecked the measurements and the specified bolt hole locations and cannot see an error but wonder if I have missed something.
Any ideas :confused:

Check your measurement on the plans again.

Kent