Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Gents,

I am installing a master warning light in my panel to remind me if I leave the master. It is connected to a oil pressure switch that turns on the Hobbs meter when the oil pressure reaches a set pressure or above. The warning light is connect to the normally closed contact.

I wanted a bright light that would easily be seen in direct sunlight and have been searching for quite sometime.

I tried mil-spec lights used on the latest military aircraft but they you couldn't tell if they were on when in direct sunlight.

Well I finally found a light that works well in direct sunlight, is low cost, large and low power (LED).

Take a look at the attached photos. It was high noon in the very bright Arizona sunlight when these photos were taken.

warning light on.jpg

Warning light is on
warning light off.jpg

Warning light off

So you can see this is a very bright light.

MFG: Dialight
P/N: 557-1503-203F
Voltage: 12 V
Mounting: 11/16" hole
Size: ~3/4" diameter light
Cost: $11.20
Source: Allied Electronics

Dialight Data Sheet:
http://www.dialight.com/Assets/Brochures_And_Catalogs/Indication/MDEL557U001.pdf

Most suppliers have a min order ($25) plus shipping.

If there are others interested in this light maybe we can get Steinair or B & C interested in stocking it.

Please take the poll and lets see if there is interest.

Thanks

Yes and no

I want a warning and I think either way is good except a light is not enough..I mean my glass panels are all alight when the master is on..But I still left my master on one time.

For me it has to be an audible alarm..Radio Shack sell inexpensive noise makers. The problem with that idea is that I certainly don't to be setting up for an emergency landing with a noisemaker continually squealing...I got enough to deal with..e.g IMC, talking on the radio, mountanous terrain etc.

So I have a limit switch that I plan to use to detect when the canopy is open and the master is left on...A hassle for maintenance but nothing that taping the switch down won't cure...One day I'll get around to installing the idea.

Just my thoughts

Frank