Jackkclark

Well Known Member
Page 46-8 Step 1 says..."cover any exposed rubber hose at the center of the VA-216 ...with RTV." I used Permatex High Temp RTV Silicone, Item number 81409. Twenty four hours later, it simply fell off when I rubbed it.
I used the same RTV for sealing around the Heat Shroud and it adhered to the aluminum and the shroud.
1) what is the purpose of applying the RTV to the exposed end of the rubber hose...and
2) is there a better product for this purpose?

Dow 736

I use a lot of Dow 736 bought from Aircraft Spruce and have never been disappointed.

Bob Axsom

Page 46-8 Step 1 says..."cover any exposed rubber hose at the center of the VA-216 ...with RTV." I used Permatex High Temp RTV Silicone, Item number 81409. Twenty four hours later, it simply fell off when I rubbed it.
I used the same RTV for sealing around the Heat Shroud and it adhered to the aluminum and the shroud.
1) what is the purpose of applying the RTV to the exposed end of the rubber hose...and
2) is there a better product for this purpose?

I had the same problem, reapplied and avoided to rub too hard. I believe this is purely aesthetic so that the end of the hose looks good.

In aviation it is standard practice to seal the ends of fire sleeve so it can not become saturated with oil, etc. (which would defeat the purpose of making a fire resistant hose).

Sealing fire sleeve

All oil and fuel hose should be in fire sleeve. The ends of the fire sleeve should be sealed to prevent wicking of fuels, oils and coolant and being a fire hazard. You can use three methods. First is the product called "End Dip". It is $225 for a qt. and you dip the hose ends, but must let it sit and dry. Then you can use the RTV mixed with a little Toluene as a thinner and apply it, but it makes a mess and makes dis-assembly later a pain. The last method is fairly easy and never makes a mess and retains all the heat resistance of the original fire sleeve and does a good job of protecting the ends from fluids and from heat. This product is called fire sleeve tape. It is a self vulcanizing tape that once applied seals off and needs to be cut off. It is a no mess no fuss solution and it isn't expensive.

http://www.americanfiresleeve.com/f...quid-silicone-rubber-dip-paste-order-now.html

Thanks for the help. i bought some of that tape several years ago, and for the life of me could not recall what the heck it was for! I almost had tossed it out!