BlackRV7

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if the beautifully painted green RV-8, "High Roller" won any awards at Oshkosh. I hate to say it but the only real fault I say in the airplane was EVERY rivet head was feathered over making it look like glass. Nice looking but something judges don't like. Still a beautiful RV.

Yes ...

BlackRV7 said:
Does anyone know if the beautifully painted green RV-8, "High Roller" won any awards at Oshkosh. I hate to say it but the only real fault I say in the airplane was EVERY rivet head was feathered over making it look like glass. Nice looking but something judges don't like. Still a beautiful RV.
From EAA Website ...
HOMEBUILTS PLAQUES
OUTSTANDING WORKMANSHIP , KIT BUILT
Michael Quatacker, Porterville CA
Q-8 N8MQ, N8MQ view photo

James

My only question was what will he do when he gets a tank leak at the outboard end or the baffle?

Oshkosh judging

BlackRV7 said:
Nice looking but something judges don't like. .

Is there any sources out there that would help a builder to know what the judges appreciate in considering a award for a true home built other than having the ability to write a lot of really big checks.
NYTOM
(in the basement pounding away)

One thing that was really nice to see was Mark Navratil's RV8A (N2D) win one of the Lindy Awards. Not only was the workmanship outstanding but, even more, it was really nice to see the judges make an award to one that the builder painted himself rather than just shelling out big money to have it professionally done. I do hope they give credit for builders who do the painting themselves. His is the T-6A paint scheme (with about 4-5 different colors). After talking with him at some length I was amazed to learn he had never picked up a paint gun before doing this, just learned as he went. Gave me a lot of confidence to paint myself if I have the time. If I can do half the job he did I'll be tickled! Great job Mark!

Paint...

I was thinking the same thing. I'd bet some of these phenomenal paint jobs cost close to 15K? Maybe higher? They are awesome, indeed! But, like Steve mentioned, I do think the 'roll your own' paint guys deserve MUCH credit.

As a kid growing up, my grandfather was an authorized Cessna rebuilder. In other words, he would buy storm damaged Cessna's and rebuild them to like new. As a result, I have had my fair share of painting aircraft, and there's a TON of work involved. I remember having to do a bunch of the tape/paper work, and it takes hours. These self-painters deserve a great amount of credit!

As a side-note, since I was the only family member who could slide down into the tailcone with a bucking bar, I still have terrible hearing :( If only someone would have suggested I wear hearing protection......ever 'hear crickets chirping' in your head, 24/7? It sucks!

Take care,

Which prop?

Dumb question but what prop is on this beautiful bird?

What is the life span of that level of paint detail on a prop?