JordanGrant

Well Known Member
A funny thing happened on the way to Columbia, SC today. My oil pressure indication on my ACS2003 (also known as AF2500) engine monitor started spiking up through 95 psi, even up above 100 psi. I landed, pulled the cowl, and checked things out a bit. Everything looked very normal, so I took off again and kept the power somewhat reduced, which seemed to help. The oil pressure stayed within limits for the rest of trip out there, and then most of my flight back home to Goldsboro. During the last 5 minutes of my 1 hour flight home, it started doing it again. All other engine indications were normal, to include oil temperature 180-190 deg F.

So here are my questions for the group:
1) Does anyone know of a failure mode of pressure sensors (specifically, those used by Advanced Control Systems) that would show an increase in pressure, rather than reverting to zero? (i.e. is it a sensor problem?)
2) What can cause an abnormally HIGH oil pressure in a Superior XP-360 engine? What can get damaged in that condition? Are there other symptoms that should be happening at the same time? (i.e. could it be an actual engine problem?)

Additional details:
Superior XP-360 w/AFP fuel injection, Lightspeed Plasma II, C/S BA Hartzell Prop w/MT governor, 180 hours TTSN.

Jordon,

I had a similar problem with my AF2500 -- except it was the RPM spiking. First thing to check are any crimp on connectors you may have between the AF computer and the o.p. sensor. I simply had a connector which was not crimped tightly enough and therefore at high power settings and max under the cowl air turbulance it would occassionally spike up and down.

Hope this helps--good luck.

Cheers,

Dave B.
RV9a/ECI 0360/James Cowl/Catto prop-100 hrs and a permanent smile!!!

Oil Pressure

I had problems with low oil pressure on my O-320 so this probably is not applicable. What I had to do was change to an adjustable oil pressure regulator.