yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
I did the time-to-climb tests today and at WOT I kept getting a High Fuel Flow alarm above 5000 feet. It was showing 10+ GPH most of the time above 5000 feet. Is this normal, or something that changing the K factor will eliminate (I have the "red Cube" with K set to the recommended 68000). Started out with about 5140 RPM max at 75 knots, and that dropped off to just about 5000 at 10,000'. Max speed at WOT is less than 120 knots, so I need to decrease the pitch maybe 0.1 deg, wich will furthere reduce climb RPM?

Thanks guys.

Wayne 120241/143WM

drop your K factor down to about 46,000 though that doesn't affect your fuel pressure alarm...it is based on p.s.i. You need to do the latest Dynon update and it will lower the alarm settings for you automatically on fuel pressure down to .7. It only takes .2 to run the engine and you should normally see 3 to 5.

Last edited:
zipped data

To those who sent me some zipped data, thank you. It took a bit but I got it opened and its helpful. Thanks
JohnF

High fuel flow

The fuel system has a return flow back to the tank. In order to account for that fuel going thru the fuel flow transducer you must set the K factor higher.
The Flowscan with default of 30,000 is being set to about 50,000. The Red cube with a default of 68,000 would need to be set to about 112,000.

Fuel flow factor - red cube

The fuel flow factor can only be set to a maximum of 99990. I have mine now at 96500 and it is about right.

To answer Wayne's question, yes, setting the K-factor higher will silence the alarm and will also reduce the displayed fuel GPH to more like 5.

Also, you will need the wheel pants on (and pedal fast) to get to 120 knots ;).

Tony

Last edited:
Always wear footwear when you pedal!

Tony is right; you'll have to pedal pretty hard to get 120 kts. But is still does an amazing job. Always remember to wear footwear when pedaling that fast in case your foot slips off the pedals!

Jay Sluiter
N124CS
Albany, OR

Our Float Sunk

Don't be to quick to disregard the high fuel flow as a calculation error. Jetguy and I had some occasional high fuel flow errors on our way back from Oshkosh and come to find out one of the floats in the right carb sunk. We had a occasional and very slight fuel smell when flying and when we pulled the top cowl we could see where fuel splashed on the fire wall from the spill pan under the carb. If we had a bad float there may be some more in the system. It took about 20 hours of flying for the problem to show.

Colin

I had exactly the same problem, i.e. high fuel flow alarm on the time to climb profile above 5,000 ft. I set the K factor from 68,000 to 96,000 and that solved the problem but now I get high fuel flow alarm on taxi at 2500 rpm or below but never in flight. Any ideas?

John s/n 317