n5lp

fugio ergo sum
It is unfortunate that some things become a cliche because they are really good. Sometimes we have to go back and realize that just because something is well known and popular doesn't mean that it doesn't have real value.

I was just watching an episode of "Mad Men" and saw a television sign-off in the background. It was a vintage film version of "High Flight" with an F-104. Well this really took me back.

In another life I worked at a television station. On those evenings when I was the sign-off guy I had the choice of what to play. There were several versions of the "Star Spangled Banner" and some other things, but then there was this F-104 "High Flight" film. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGj6deaINxM Guess what I always chose? I never dreamed at the time that I would own my own RV-6 fighter plane that epitomized the feeling of this poem. It is interesting that this film was even one of the possibilities as it was quite different from the other choices. I guess the freedom of flight melded well with the idea of the freedom of Americans. I always got a thrill out of playing it.

The poem and film stands up and while searching on youtube for this video I found that a film is planned about Mr. Magee's life. I'm interested.