Bluebeard

I run an O320-E2A with a regular Marvel Schebler carburetor.

At takeoff power the EGT (shown on my VM1000) on #4 is much higher than the others, sometimes #3 is pretty high too relative to #1 and #2. I doesnt seem to be consistent, and the effect seems to be more than it used to be. With #4 sky-high (in the 1500's) sometimes the engine starts to run a little rough, cured by throttling back a bit.

In cruise with everything leaned out the EGTs look nice and uniform.

After the engine is fully warmed WOT results in high EGTs on #3 and #4 but not as much so as takeoff.

I have not yet examined the carb-sump interface to see whether there is a step from a mismatched sump, resulting in bad distribution (commented on in another thread).

There do not appear to be any induction leaks.

Anyone else any ideas?!

Leaky exhaust valve seat/ valve, leak in exhaust system or gasket near the EGT probe. Loose EGT probe. Try retarding the throttle just a wee bit to maybe loose like 1/4 inch of MP and see if that helps.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

See if carb heat helps. I experience high EGT's on takeoff at sea level. Seems there is too much air for the carb jets. As I live and fly at 2600 ft I have no problems here. If you are experiencing high EGT at altitude be careful at lower elevations. I'd check the compatability of your carb. You may need bigger jets. Follow Mahlon's wisdom though.