Pete, your local "used auto parts mart" (AKA junk yard) has hundreds of them all sizes and shapes! Commonly known as a "fuel door hinge"! Got mine for 3 bucks!!

It's a short length of MS piano hinge and a piece of bent aluminum. Good grief man, fabricate something!

r72n8o.jpg

Last edited:
Door

Dan,

I just looked at the picture and yes I think I'll make one up tomorrow.

B&B aircraft supplies in Kansas has the cam-locs for $10 bucks each and Cleaveland tools has the hinge for $41 dollars.

Ron in Oregon

Dan,
Do you find that your single latch does the job? I see some builders with dual latches.

Latch

Dan,
Do you find that your single latch does the job? I see some builders with dual latches.

I used a single latch like Dan. Plane has been just over the speed red line with no problem.:D Saves a couple of ounces and they all add up!:eek:

I subscribe to Bert Rutan's admonition: throw it up-----if it comes down, it's too heavy.:p

Oil door latch

I suspect the problem where two latches are used is because the oil door / cowl will flex to some degree causing the latch arm to slide out from behind the cowl lip. I bonded the cowl portion that I cut out to the back of the Vans oil door and it is much more rigid and lighter that a metal door. Time will tell but I think it will be fine.