Looks Great

Tony - I've been thinking of switching my Duckworks lights to HID. Your change looks great. What did you pull out...like the old light power supply? I assume that black box on the plate is the "new" power supply.

Any ground needed?

Thanks for the information.

Lots Brighter?

Tony after the install I guess you just unscrew the plastic bult protector and throw it away?

Are they a lot brighter?

Are you using any type wig-wag?

HID

Hey Tony, good to see you are busy with the new RV4. We put the same DDM ballasts in the 7a, I am surprised you are not getting noise without a filter! Good for you. We have the round reflectors but are very happy with the light they make. Expect we will be changing them out to LED technology in the not too distant future.

Enjoy

Turning night into day!!!

Tony,
Just wanted to say thanks for posting your install pictures. I just installed my 55W HIDs from DDM tunning. Very impressed with them. I came back Saturday night at 11pm. These lights are amazing, there is no comparison to my Halogen lights I replaced.

Total cost of the install was $57. (Much better than $300 I was looking at for LEDs)

Noise: I do not have ANY radio noise. I did install a ferrite core on the power and ground wires coming out of the lights as a precaution coming from this thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=67875&highlight=hid+ferrite

Very happy with the lights.

Dan

Dan,

I just ordered a set of the 55W HID lights from DDM Tuning. I also ordered the mounting set from Duckworks. I just started work on my leading edges so I decided to go ahead and do the cutout now. How did you mount the power supply units, I ordered the DDM mounting brackets since they are only $4, but I still haven't decided exactly how I'm going to do it yet.

Just like tony

Ray,
I mounted the slim ballast just like Tony has pictured. Only difference is I used 6/32 hardware instead of 8/32. The reason I went with 6/32 is because the mounting rings on the ballast are pretty small and a 6/32 nylon lock nut fit without modification.

Tony's install is really one of the easiest I have seen. Total install took me about 1 hour, from opening the package, to turning on lights ON to test!

Dan

My RV has an aluminum foil hat!!

We used the Rigid Industries kit. Very pleased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHbV1a4Zxgw&sns=em

Hi David,
I bought the 50 Watt MR16 kit during original construction. The light is great but I had trouble with radiated noise breaking the squelch on both my radios. I basically did not use the lights because of it.

I finally fixed them today. For my set, the noise was coming from the "black box" located in the line from the controller to the bulb. I used a handheld radio to find it. I made a faraday box with aluminum foil (which worked by itself) and grounded it to the common ground I have on the outboard rib.

I dont hear any noise any more. I look forward to flight testing this fix when my condition inspection is done (prob next weekend)

The problem child (with future faraday box ground wire hanging below)
182096651464e4219714.jpg

The Fix
112706343551464e4220c50.jpg