david.perl

Well Known Member
hi there. Im looking for some advice please. We did our first brief max power check on the ground to adjust the VP prop. Its an injected IO360 with Hatzell CS prop RV7A.

Ambient temp was 18 degrees centigrade and we had to wait an age for the oil temp to come up and noticed that running the engine at 1400 rpm trying to get the oil warm , the CHT went into the red briefly. (210 degrees centigrade)

Are the RV7's known for hot ground running? the test pilot said i could be caught between a rock and hard place waiting for oil temp to increase and ensuring CHT don't get to high.

Any suggestions or thoughts much appreciated

David

The cowling is designed to keep the engine cool during flight.
It is NOT designed to cool the engine on the ground. If you are going to run the engine extensively on the ground, you will need to fabricate a "ground cooling system".

We did our first brief max power check on the ground to adjust the VP prop. Its an injected IO360 with Hatzell CS prop

If you were planning on adjusting the prop governor ------------did you even have the cowling installed???

Last edited:
I did not want to apply full power on the ground without being ready for takeoff.

As it turned out when I took off, my RPM's were too high.

I immediately addreesed it with a turn of the blue knob and added it to my squawk list for flight number 2.

I lived to tell about it.

:) CJ

If it's a new or freshly overhauled engine, it'll run hotter until it's broken in, then cooler. While in that un-broken-in phase, minimize ground running. It prefers high power settings.

As for the oil temp, I agree with what aerhed said, even after it's broken in.

Dave

Temperatures

Lycoming says as soon as the engine will take full power without stumbling you are good to go as far as oil temp.
Mahlon Russell protocol never above 350 CHT on a ground run. If you hit 350 shut it down and let it cool until you can hold your hand on a rear cylinder. Not above 425 in flight until the rings are seated. If it approaches 425 increase airspeed and reduce power. 130 knots yoou should be able to resume full power and make a shallow climb.
What you are doing is a perfect way to glaze the cylinders and prevent the rings from seating.

I see you are in the UK. Chilly winters coming, as I recall from experience.
Think about putting a pan heater on the bottom. Easy and inexpensive. There are historic threads here on the topic that will guide you.
Then you are ready to fly as soon as you want.