frankh

Well Known Member
Acro guys help!

Did my first Immleman's in the RV and something is not going right...I was doing them perfectly in the Zlin but they are not going right in the RV.

Basically when I roll upright I'm coming out with a pronounced nose high attitude (and thats not my english upbringing either) and I have to push over quite hard (goes negative) to end level.

I could be rolling to early and the roll rate of the RV being faster would put me nose high but I don't THINK I am doing that.

Any other pointers I can look for?

OH and has anyone spun an RV inverted?...Haven't tried that yet but I can't see that it would be a problem.

The RV sure is a SWEET flying airplane....:)

Cheers

Frank

If you want to end up at a lower pitch attitude, you either need to start the roll a bit later, or roll slower. Or, mess around with the rudder and elevators during the roll to force the nose towards the horizon - I don't recommend this - I only offer it for completeness. I don't see any other solution other than one of the above.

The RV is not a Zlin, so the visual references that worked in the Zlin may not work in the RV. Fly the aircraft you are flying today, not the one you were flying yesterday.

Roll with nearly zero g at the top of your half-loop, with a gentle push before you start your roll. At zero g there is no adverse yaw, and you can't stall at zero g. I do immelmans with a very slight amount of positive g to keep the engine happy.

Regards,
Bob Japundza
RV-6 flying F1 under const.
Indy

Watch the wingtips

Frank,
Are you looking from one tip to the other as you loop? Doing so will tell you exactly how far around your loop you have progressed. It will also show any yaw as you go up and near vertical so you can straighten it up with a little rudder. When you see the wing laying parallel to the horizon (as you look from tip to tip), start your rollout.

Regards,
Pierre

Thanks

In thinking about this a little more I think I must be rolling early...I'll try concentrating on the horizon over the wingtip to look for close to horizontal next time.

Cheers

Frank