ron sterba

Well Known Member
This free app is one of many free apps for this condition known as noise. Its a sound meter and that's what they call the app. (SOUND METER) If that doesn't work on your smart phone try others, DB level was another. You can check the noise level as you climb,cruise,power off, new mufflers,sound proofing before and after. your buddies plane whatever, washing machine,. I like the sound meter because it has a 15 second graph as the sound is recorded. Let me know if you you like it or found a better app.

Ron in Oregon

looks like the same developer "smart tools" has quite a few other goodies including a compass and a vibration meter.

The apps that only give you unweighted sound pressure level are of little practical value.

Try to find one with at least an A-weighted function if you are really interested in subjective noise levels or to compare with most published noise and attenuation levels.

You may have to pay a dollar or two for that.

The apps that only give you unweighted sound pressure level are of little practical value.

Try to find one with at least an A-weighted function if you are really interested in subjective noise levels or to compare with most published noise and attenuation levels.

You may have to pay a dollar or two for that.

So, suggestions on such an app? I would be happy to spend a couple bucks if I knew it worked reasonably well.

Thanks,
Greg

So, suggestions on such an app?

I have found one called SoundMeter+ for $1.99, which appears quite functional.
I do seem to get about 5dBA difference between the same app on Iphone and Ipad, though it does have a calibration feature

If I get a chance I might see how it compares with the precision sound level meters that we have at work.

I used a couple of free sound meters, I find that my mic on my phone gets over driven and maxes out at 80db not much help.

Here are some measurements I took a year ago at different RPM's with a high end sound level meter. Think the mic was about stick height and distance from the panel.

http://www.nti-audio.com/en/products/xl2-sound-level-meter.aspx

audiolevels.jpg

So, Mike, maybe explain a bit about these graphs. I understand the units etc., but what does the whole thing mean in practical terms (other than obviously wear hearing protection)?

Thanks,
Greg

Basically, the sound pressure level increases with RPM and the peak frequency is the propellor blade passing frequency. Pretty much what you expect.