Darren S

Well Known Member
I live about 5 miles from my hanger. Winter is cominng and I need to preheat my engine. I don't have AC power at the hanger so I use a generator to power the Reiff pre-heater.

I want to be able to use my cellphone to start my generator. Some guys on the web have rigged a way to start their cars using a cellphone but in thought I'd tap into the vast knowledge of VAF before I start jacking with stuff.

I am willing to get an electric start generator rather than the pull start I currently have.

Let me know if anyone has some ideas.

Thanks

Darren

No wifi at the field. Just 3G when I have to use the Internet to check weather.

Will check home automation sites. Thanks for that.

The car starter guy used a cheap remote car starter and a hijacked $10 cellphone.

Where there is a will....there is a way:)

Darren

Hmmmmm

I remember seeing something on the front page...www.dial2start.com I think. Maybe that's what you are after?

Just re-read your original post... DUH!!! You said no a/c power!!!

Last edited:
Where is the generator? In the hangar? If so you need to be mindful of the possible hazards. Possible build up of fumes. Possible fire hazard of unattended portable generator. I'm thinking someone puts a coat or something onto the generator and forgets/doesn't know it can auto start. Someone nearby is cleaning with flammables, and not expecting an automatic ignition source. How would you turn it off if plans changed and you couldn't make it to the airport? etc etc.

I'm wondering if a 12V car battery connected to an inverter connected to the heater and switched on by the cellphone would be better?

Just thinking out load here.

Bevan

50 amp discharge from the car battery. It would not last long.

I would also worry about the remote start generator being unattended.

I am the only one in my hanger so there wouldn't be anyone else monkeying around in there ie. leaving a jacket on the generator.

I also have an exhaust tube connected so that the generator fumes exhaust to the outside.

I usually run out to the hanger in the wee hours in my Pj's, start the generator, hook up the pre- heater and then come back home to drop kids to school etc... I'll return 2-3 hours later and by then the oil temp is up to 100+ degrees. Good to go.

I don't feel I'm being unsafe by leaving the generator running unattended. I did it all last year. I'm just looking for a way to avoid the Pj run:)

I like the idea of the 12V battery with the inverter but I don't know how long it would last, plus how long it would take the solar charger to re- charge it.

Would 4 car batteries in parallel last 3 hours on the pre-heater?

Thanks for the ideas though. I'm still digging.

Darren

Looks like my grand idea won't work. With the electric start generators the choke still has to be operated manually which defeats the whole purpose. No such thing as a fuel injected generator with electronic ignition:)

Rats! Oh well.

Darren,

How much power does the pre-heater draw? The inverter system would be very inefficient so double the number (at least). If that leaves you in the ball park for your battery, give it a try.

I bet there is a way to do this safely.

Bevan