pietermk

Well Known Member
I did it :D I have been working towards this day for some time now. And even if I don't know how long it will take me to buy and build all the kits the first step is made.

Peter

Congrats!

Let the journey begin!

New guy buys next round of adult beverages! ;)

Last edited:
Welcome!

You did a good thing Peter, and will not regret it. Enjoy the journey!

I lived 3+ years in Northern Virginia. Where are you in MD?

I did it :D I have been working towards this day for some time now. And even if I don't know how long it will take me to buy and build all the kits the first step is made.

Peter

Congrats! I know the feeling as I just got my empennage. Like you, I also don't know how long to buy and build but I just decided to go for it and just let it happen as it happens.

Cheers,

You did a good thing Peter, and will not regret it. Enjoy the journey!

I lived 3+ years in Northern Virginia. Where are you in MD?

I am in Bel Air, 30 miles north of Baltimore, close to 0W3 Harford County airport

Thanks everybody, it is kinda strange feeling, I have been dreaming about this for many years, I build a big garage over the summer last year so that I would have a workshop. Bought the tool set in September, and got the extra tools such as the belt sander, band saw etc. for Xmas.

And now I can start building... that is when the kit arrives :eek: :D

I can't wait

Whats your Number

Let us know what your builder/Serial Number is when your kit arrives. The last three numbers in the serial number tells us how many kits have been sold.:)

Peter,

I received my empennnage and wing kits in late November. After a slow start, I've finished the Vertical Stabilizer, the Rudder, the anti servo tabs and the Stabilator. I'm just starting the tailcone. I'm having a ball, it's a great project.

Have a great time.

I had my number for almost two months and did not know it! On paperwork you get from Vans, it is listed as "customer number", in my case it was 120461

Let us know what your builder/Serial Number is when your kit arrives. The last three numbers in the serial number tells us how many kits have been sold.:)

I had my number for almost two months and did not know it! On paperwork you get from Vans, it is listed as "customer number", in my case it was 120461

It is simply amazing to me how many RV-12 kits Van's is selling! When I received my empennage kit in May last year I was #374 and now Don is #461. Within a year they will have sold more than a hundred of these kits and this is with an economy on its knees.
What a great success this kit is for Van's!

Hi Peter :)

My name is Piotr that is also Peter :)

Nice to meet Somebody here like me ;)

I have ordered my empenage in the middle of december 2010 and i have 120479 serial number and i am very first in Poland ;)

Good luck with your project!!!

Last edited:
They sold 461 towards the end of November, and 479 to middle Dec, that is 18 sales in less than a month. Probably better than Cessna!
That also helps explain wjy my kit is still in the crating section, despite earlier warning that it would be shipped on 18 Jan.

well I got a call from Vans that the kit will be shipped this week so I expect it home by end of next week. I will let you know the serial number

Peter

Peter,

I received my empennnage and wing kits in late November. After a slow start, I've finished the Vertical Stabilizer, the Rudder, the anti servo tabs and the Stabilator. I'm just starting the tailcone. I'm having a ball, it's a great project.

Have a great time.

Joe I can't wait believe me. but as the delivery is earlier than expected I need to quickly finish my workshop.

Peter

Hi Peter :)

My name is Piotr that is also Peter :)

Nice to meet Somebody here like me ;)

I have ordered my empenage in the middle of december 2010 and i have 120479 serial number and i am very first in Poland ;)

Good luck with your project!!!

Hi Piotr I am originally from Holland and moved here 13 years ago. Have you received your kit already?

Peter

They sold 461 towards the end of November, and 479 to middle Dec, that is 18 sales in less than a month. Probably better than Cessna!
That also helps explain wjy my kit is still in the crating section, despite earlier warning that it would be shipped on 18 Jan.

By the time I have finished typing this, and posted it, we will probably be past 500!!:eek:

Faith

Leap of faith brother.

Not all of us can see our way through to the end when we start financially or work-load wise, but keep working on your quest and you'll get there.

Bringing a compatible partner into the project can be an end to a means too.

Leap of faith brother.

Not all of us can see our way through to the end when we start financially or work-load wise, but keep working on your quest and you'll get there.

Bringing a compatible partner into the project can be an end to a means too.

thanks that is a good idea, actually my wife has expressed a clear interest to help which I would enjoy. So much easier to explain why you need to buy a certain tool :D And I want to bring in our 10 year old, this could be a great learning experience for him, he has already helped me with building the workshop tables.

Peter

Enjoy the journey

Congratulations! When I ordered my empennage kit I asked the nice lady if the was anything else I should know, and she replied, ?You do know what you?re getting yourself into?? I lied and said yes. It?s all fun, some of it is just more fun than others! Don?t let yourself get overwhelmed by the project, I tell people it?s just a thousand little challenges to solve, (maybe ten thousand) enjoy the journey!

Just Ordered!

Hey Peter,
Ok......I usually dont reply to these threads as I have been building for ten years now!.. Don't worry..I am unique..I take for ever..I am a slow builder and admitedly there were many large blocks of time that I never worked on the RV-8. But I just recently made a very big order as well. I just ordered my entire Avionics package from Stein Air.
Yes, it hurt($$$$), but I am excited like you are as it has taken a lot of effort to get to this stage. Soon I will be installing all of this garmin stuff and then paint and then..........Flying!

It's a long journey. Enjoy it. Seek help whenever you can get it......It will all come together!

Regards