hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
My SL-30 COM side has these symptoms:
1. very weak transmit & receive (10-13 miles max., usually, sometimes less).
2. reception not affected by whether controller is left or right side.
3. when transmitting, I see spikes in my egt graph on my GRT EFIS. They are false.
4. when transmitting, if using TruTrack AP, it pitches up strongly.
5. some controllers report background hiss/noise, even on the ground.
6. maybe unrelated, but the built-in intercom is noisy, too.
7. I'm using an Archer COM antenna in the wingtip. In hangar testing, a Comant 122, brand new and meter-verified pulled the same trick on the AP.
8. When transmitting through the Archer with my Yaesu handheld, no AP issue.
9. I can't find any shorts or opens in the antenna wire, all the way back to the connection at the back of the tray.
10. The NAV side works superbly well. It's in the other wingtip.

It's driving me crazy. Any expertise you can share would be gratefully received.

sl-30

Hi. have you checked for a really good power ground? I believe the SL-30 requires good solid grounds at the rear connector for both the com and the nav sides. It sounds like a grounding issue with the A/P and engine monitor issues. If all checks well, you might have a bad radio.

Vic

Problems as well, Any ideas?

My SL-30 is picking up a weather broadcast in the Tyler, TX area when tuned to any channel. Problem is I am in South GA. It will transmit, but I cannot squelch out the background broadcast. Any ideas?

Monitoring mode....

Hard Knox said:
My SL-30 is picking up a weather broadcast in the Tyler, TX area when tuned to any channel. Problem is I am in South GA. It will transmit, but I cannot squelch out the background broadcast. Any ideas?

Robby... since the SL-30 is designed to recieve Weather service broadcasts (around 160 MHz), it sounds like the logic in your reciever synthesizer is hosed (technical electronics term... :) ...)

One other option is that the SL-30 is designed to monitor a second frequency... could you have got stuck in some sort of related monitoring mode? Any switches or related pins on the connector that could be causing this??

gil in Tucson