cactusman

Well Known Member
Patron
I have been working on my prop and spinner and I am a little confused.

The Van's manual shows a white pitch cylinder, but i don't seem to have one in my prop shipment....which is fine, because I have Rev E and according to the Sensenich manual, show 2 versions - earlier with and later with NO pitch cylinder, BUT I have noted two additional problems:

1) The bolt sizes seem to be reversed in the Sens manual - i.e. if you use the shorter bolts where the Sensenich manual indicates, they simply won't work (-15 and -24's are reversed in the manual it appears - is that me, or did any other recent builders notice this?

2) The holes in the forward spinner bulkhead are not lined up (and/or large enough) with the pitch adjustment holes in the newer version hub to allow you to use their little tool and I was wondering what other recent builders used to get that initial pitch setting using the Sensenich tool?

I mean I guess I could have two people hold the props on while I use the tool without the spacers and forward spinner bulkhead, which seems rinky-dink, or I could slightly enlarge the holes in the forward spinner bulkhead to allow the prop tool to be used?

My guess is Van's has yet to modify that forward spinner plate for the new props?

I do have a digital level and plan to do the matching technique mentioned in other threads recently, but I guess it is the best way to tackle the initial setting I am looking for.

Thanks for any feedback in advance

Last edited:
Nordlock

Also - while I am at it....asking questions...

While reviewing some of the blogs out there I saw two different versions of the correct way to install the nord-lock washers.

Some say to reverse them, others install them as is....which is what I did, and they did click when I took everything apart and the new diagrams in the manual show the larger cam side of the washers face to face and the smaller serrations facing out to the bolt/nut/other material....

(figure 4 in the newer sens manual...page 4)

John,

If the Nordlocks clicked you should have them in correctly. Sounds like the new prop is really different from the old rev that I received.

Rich