Jkkinz

Well Known Member
I am calling on the wisdom of any engine guru!!
I cannot get the Allen plug in the rear of my hollow crank to come out. I made a tool to remove it by cutting the angle off an Allen wrench and putting the wrench into a small socket. I even sprayed the plug with liquid wrench before attempting the removal. All I am doing is twisting the shaft of the Allen wrench and the plug will not budge. Is there a special tool that I can get that will work better than my rig? If so who stocks it. My fear is twisting the wrench off in the plug or damaging the oil passage in front of the plug.

HELP!

You might try chilling the plug (just the plug, not the crank) with something like those compressed air cans they use for cleaning keyboards. If you can cool it significantly it will shrink from thermal contraction and should relieve some of the holding force.

If you are removing the plug so you can run fixed pitch, just drill a hole in the plug somewhere. that will relief the oil pressure as easy as removing the pipe plug. Grease up the drill bit and don't push to hard and you should keep any metal cutting flakes where you can wash them out easily, if necessary.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."