Bob Martin

Well Known Member
Background:
RV-6 0-360A1A hollow crank.
Accessory case changed to accommodate new PCU5000X.
New flex line from Governor to front crankcase port.
Used C/S prop from RV-8 upgrade to RV-200 prop, approx 300TT on prop.

Installation was straight forward, I did have to rotate the lever plate to get it to properly align with the cable and bracket, but just loosened the 6 screws a little and rotated the assembly. The run-up showed prop cycling, but slightly sluggish.
On takeoff, the prop started to over speed, so I pulled prop control back to 2700.
Climbed to 1500 agl leveled off and tried to set prop control but couldn’t.
The prop wouldn’t respond at all, although I watched the engine oil pressure readings and
saw a one to three lbs drop with each prop control cycle. I could over speed the prop with the throttle.
So it appears to work on the ground in a no load situation but somehow doesn’t appear to be able to work in the air with air-loads on the prop.

I know I need to adjust the governor back to a 2700rpm stop but assumed if I controlled the rpm with the prop cable, it would be the same effect as changing the set screw on the
PCU5000X. Am I wrong? Do I need to adjust the set screw to be able to control the prop on flight?

I don’t want to think I got a defective PCU5000X…….could I be the ONLY one???

I do have another C/S prop on another RV-6 in the same hangar and I might swap a KNOWN propeller for a "unknown used" propeller and
that would take the prop out of the problem solving solutions.

I did purchase the PCU 5000X in the latest group buy and will surely be on the phone to
Bob at American Propeller to ask for help on Monday but appreciate any input from any of you fellow RV’ers.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Bob - did you ever get this sorted out? Are you still flying your PCU? I recently installed a PCU on a IO-540 and had the same behavior you describe. Ground run-up checks per the manual and Hartzell manual all looked good. But once the propeller got some airspeed, the blue knob wouldn't reduce RPM.

Background:

Installation was straight forward, I did have to rotate the lever plate to get it to properly align with the cable and bracket, but just loosened the 6 screws a little and rotated the assembly. The run-up showed prop cycling, but slightly sluggish.
On takeoff, the prop started to over speed, so I pulled prop control back to 2700.
The prop wouldn’t respond at all, although I watched the engine oil pressure readings and
saw a one to three lbs drop with each prop control cycle. I could over speed the prop with the throttle.
So it appears to work on the ground in a no load situation but somehow doesn’t appear to be able to work in the air with air-loads on the prop.

I know I need to adjust the governor back to a 2700rpm stop but assumed if I controlled the rpm with the prop cable, it would be the same effect as changing the set screw on the
PCU5000X. Am I wrong? Do I need to adjust the set screw to be able to control the prop on flight?

I do have another C/S prop on another RV-6 in the same hangar and I might swap a KNOWN propeller for a "unknown used" propeller and

I did purchase the PCU 5000X in the latest group buy and will surely be on the phone to
Bob at American Propeller to ask for help on Monday but appreciate any input from any of you fellow RV’ers.
Thanks in advance.

If you are over speeding on takeoff it sounds like you still need to adjust your props low pitch stop before worrying about the governor.

Background:

Thanks in advance.
How the constant speed prop and governor works.
Link to prop installation manual.

Good luck