DJR

I have done a few searches on the forum regarding paint prep, but so many of the threads deviate away from the original question.
I need to prep the airplane for paint (exterior).

I am going to use a water based base coat and a final polyurethane topcoat.
1st question:

1.) how do I clean and prep the wings, fuse, emp. for paint
2.) scotchbrite or sand paper (wet/dry)
3.) what sovents and or degreaser, detergent?

My idea was to use tide or some other detergent first and just wash the heck out of it and rinse with water, dry, then wipe with MEK. Is this good or no good?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dana

Hi,

I would contact the paint manufacturer and tell them you are painting aluminum and ask for their recomendation. Myself, I used alumiprep and a scotch brite pad to clean the aluminum and then the conversion coating afterwards. Painted two planes, and no problem with this system.

Some people don't like it because it is wet and messy, but it really goes quite quickly once you get into it. I know I was able to do an entire RV in one day. Have not checked Aircraft Spruce lately to see if they still have it but I would think that they do.

Steve Ciha

RE: Paint????

Hi,

I would contact the paint manufacturer and tell them you are painting aluminum and ask for their recomendation. Myself, I used alumiprep and a scotch brite pad to clean the aluminum and then the conversion coating afterwards. Painted two planes, and no problem with this system.

Some people don't like it because it is wet and messy, but it really goes quite quickly once you get into it. I know I was able to do an entire RV in one day. Have not checked Aircraft Spruce lately to see if they still have it but I would think that they do.

Steve Ciha

Steve, what style paint did you use?

Frank @ 1L8 and SGU ...RV7A... Phase 1

I have painted three of my homebuilts and helped several others. I would second the recommendation of following the paint/primer manf's instructions for all painting operations.

As I use two part primer (epoxy preferred), I use the scotchbrite scrub with phosphoric acid solution (commonly sold Dupont variety) followed immediately when still wet with the Dupont alodine surface conversion liquid and full water rinse. As an eariler poster mentioned, it really is a very easy process and goes very quickly.

As with all chemicals, wear gloves and eye protection (and old clothes).