jeffmoreau

Well Known Member
I am in the process of installing my 5 point Hooker Harness set in my RV8-A.

The problem area is where the pilot lap belts are inserted through the pilot seatback. I can route them through, however the attachment tang of the belt doesn't fit through the opening very well.

The webbing of the belt chafes against the opening. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to improve the fit.

Please show me photos of what you have done. As always, any help and photos are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Afraid I can't be of any help, but you deserve the best thread title of the year award.

nothing sacred about the size of those openings..I enlarged them about 1/4" to provide plenty of clearance.

Jeff, as a retired police officer I have to warn you that I think Doug has some rules against illegal activity on his site. :D

Hookers

How to keep a straight face and answer the question:D

The hookers in my 7 required a little metal work as well. How can I say that without getting edited? Had to make the elongated holes larger and smoother so the fabric wouldn't chafe:eek:

There, I hope that helps.

Any Photos??

Does anyone have photos of their lapbelt installation in an RV8 or 8A?

I would really appreciate it.

Pictures

Jeff, I'd be happy to take some pictures of my Hookers tomorrow for you. I don't have any chafing problems that I'm aware of. Maybe I should check them out tomorrow and look for signs of chafing. I suppose that's something that we should all do with our Hookers. I would hate for my seats to end up with any scratches, tears or defects (STDs).

I suppose one could just slip a latex sleeve of some sort over the belt to prevent the chafing and STDs. Just a suggestion ...

I'll take pics tomorrow for you.

:D

Belts and leather

I don't have an -8, but the seat backs in the side by side models chews on the lap belts. I wrapped the belts in leather in the wear areas, and am happy with the results after 4 or 5 years.

Doesn't anyone have a photo or two of the pilots lap belt going through the seat back?
Please help me and post a few.

Is this what you're looking for? My Hookers fit through the seat back with some clearance and I've got no chafing yet.

seatbeltt.jpg

They kind of wrap around the seat back cushion a bit but it's not been an issue.

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB

Jeff, I'm afraid any comment I make could be construed in the wrong way, but here goes -- Don't use the holes.

Perhaps Van's belts fit through those holes (oh, boy), but mine don't. Just bring the Hookers around each side, and then fasten ... well you know how to do the rest.

I may loose my moderator status for this.

rv8frontseatbelt.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Chris

Last edited:
Is this what you're looking for? My Hookers fit through the seat back with some clearance and I've got no chafing yet.

seatbeltt.jpg

They kind of wrap around the seat back cushion a bit but it's not been an issue.

That's how mine look. Now signs of chafing yet on mine either.

Guy

It is important to measure the rear seat before ordering your hooker, the last think you want is for it to be too tight of a fit. If things get a little too difficult, you can always ask your wife to help you out. That is, if she’s ok with the ordering of the hooker. No matter, I always wear a parachute when using a hooker; you can never be too safe.

seatbeltt.jpg

That's how mine look. Now signs of chafing yet on mine either.

Guy

I just want to make sure. If that is how they are supposed to look then I will press forward. I just didn't think that it would be a good idea to have the belt contact the metal seatback.
Thanks!
Anyone else care to chime in with a photo or two.

I'm with Chris

Jeff, I'm afraid any comment I make could be construed in the wrong way, but here goes -- Don't use the holes.

Perhaps Van's belts fit through those holes (oh, boy), but mine don't. Just bring the Hookers around each side, and then fasten ... well you know how to do the rest.

I may loose my moderator status for this.

Chris

Just let the belts go around the seat back. Simpler all around.

Just let the belts go around the seat back. Simpler all around.

Yeah, I actually tried this for a while but didn't care for the way it pulled the mounts outboard when tightened down so I went back to the hole in the seat back. The belt material is pretty tough, if you were to make a knife out out of aluminum, I don't think you would be able to cut through the belt even if you wanted to. Either way seems to work.

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB