alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I'm pretty confused, almost like I'm missing drawings or instructions...

1. I have on 0-320 FAB kit from Van's (dated 10/05), but I cannot find any drawings showing the carb heat inlet flange as shown in this picture from Bill R's website. My 8x11 drawings and instructions that came with the FAB kit show the FAB door, but not the duct flange. Likewise, I have no drawings showing how the scat tube that would connect to that flange interfaces with the exhaust system. (And I certainly don't have any of that slotted muffler-type tubing, shown at the top in Bill's picture to which the scat tube would connect). I really seem to be missing something. Can someone get me pointed in the right direction?

http://www.repucci.com/bill/engine/carb heat fit.jpg

2. Another question... a lot of other builders with carb setups show the FAB filter being sandwiched between the aluminum carb plate and a bottom aluminum plate connected with 5 long bolts. My drawings show the filter only being sandwiched b/w the carb plate at the top and the bottom of the fiberglass FAB at the bottom... no bolts hold the air filter up against the carb plate. Has Van's changed the configuration of the FAB such that my filter isn't sandwiched together between 2 aluminum plates and 5 long bolts?

Thanks for any clarification that anyone can provide.

Last edited:
Regarding #1: Vans doesn't supply the "slotted tube" looking thing. That's a heat muff that fits on the cross-over exhaust. I had to buy it separately. The flanged ring was provided in the FWF kit...it looks identical to the one that you use on the back of the baffles for the cabin heat ducting. They don't give you anything to mount the flanged ring with...you have to roll your own. The entire FAB is a POS design in my opinion. It was my least favorite thing to work on for my entire aircraft!

#2: If I recall correctly, the oval plate mounted to the bottom of the carb has 5 AN3 bolts that go into the top of the FAB. There are "L" shaped tabs that are riveted around the hole that keep the filter from sliding around. The "L" shaped tabs have platenuts on them and that's what the AN3 bolts attach to.

FAB

For the carb heat inlet flange: http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...417&browse=engines&product=carbheat-connector
2" band clamps on both ends.
I did not use Van's carb heat muff. Larry V has a very nice one. http://www.vettermanexhaust.com/
Note on the plans the 'Tabs' to hold the filter in place with the platenuts riveted with them-bolts go through tabs and into platenuts.
Trace carb heat door from outline of assembed FAB-trim it fit with hinge. Watch out for hinge binding when you rivet it to top deck of FAB. Trial fit everything before you rivet FAB together. If A model you might have to indent one rear corner of top of FAB-use your fluting pliers. Heat gun to warm up fiberglass shell to conture into fluted flange. Don't forget to cut bottom Alt air flap prior to riveting FAB together. Best to do this BEFORE final FAB assembly.

Hope that this helps,
Mike H 9A/8A SOLD

Thanks for the tips, guys. Strangely, my FWF kit did not come with that carb heat inlet flange, only the flange for the fresh air from the baffles. I'll have to check my FWF inventory list to see if I should have got it.

So am I correct in that there is no drawing showing how the carb heat flange and duct interfaces with either the FAB or the exhaust?

Notice in the picture below from Jerry Thorne's website, he shows the filter being sandwiched with 2 alumninum plates and 5 inner long bolts, in addition to the 5 shorter bolts (on the outer part of the plate) that hold the clips against the filter. Do we no longer use these? (I also saw this design on Mike Schipper's website and, I believe, Bill Repucci's as well, though I may be wrong on the latter.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, guys. Strangely, my FWF kit did not come with that carb heat inlet flange, only the flange for the fresh air from the baffles. I'll have to check my FWF inventory list to see if I should have got it.

So am I correct in that there is no drawing showing how the carb heat flange and duct interfaces with either the FAB or the exhaust?

Notice in the picture below from Jerry Thorne's website, he shows the filter being sandwiched with 2 alumninum plates and 5 inner long bolts, in addition to the 5 shorter bolts (on the outer part of the plate) that hold the clips against the filter. Do we no longer use these? (I also saw this design on Mike Schipper's website and, I believe, Bill Repucci's as well, though I may be wrong on the latter.)

This design was changed somewhere along the way. It is just the top plate and the fiberglass bottom now. At 400hrs, I'm now reworking my whole carb heat setup, from the heat baffle (robbins wings), to the door hinge (going to try baffle seal as a hinge material), to the cable connection (going to try a solid bolt with the wire wrapped around it to pivot on). Just brought the whole assembly home last night to work on.

I am have the same question. I like the sandwhich design with the plate holding the filter. The Van's instructions don't have any fastener call outs. I have no problem making it "work" but does anyone have a site that has some good step by step photos for this?