terrykohler

Well Known Member
I'm planning on installing a GTN650 in a panel updgrade for N323TP. I need to pre-position and label the required breakers in the new panel.

I'm not sure if the unit requires 2 or three breakers and the amperage rating of each. Also, how should they be labeled?

Hoping to silkscreen the labels and also have the proper hardware in place before the radio is installed.

Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

I allocated three of my VPX breakers to the COM, NAV and MAIN power inputs respectively. I used 3 amps for the Main, 5 amps for COM and 2 amps for the NAV. If you are using actual CBs, you might be able to fine tune those breaker values better than that as I used what the VPX provided.

With a 14vdc power system, the GTN-650 install manual calls for a 7.5 amp NAV breaker and a 10 amp COM breaker.

Carl

The Nav/GPS breaker powers two pins each on the Nav (P1004 pins 51 and 52) and GPS (P1001 pins 19 and 20) connector with a 7.5Amp circuit. The Com breaker powers 2 pins on the Com (P1003 pins 43 and44) connector with a 10Amp circuit.

Third Breaker?

The Nav/GPS breaker powers two pins each on the Nav (P1004 pins 51 and 52) and GPS (P1001 pins 19 and 20) connector with a 7.5Amp circuit. The Com breaker powers 2 pins on the Com (P1003 pins 43 and44) connector with a 10Amp circuit.

Is there a main breaker as noted in by earlier poster?

Perhaps I was working from an old installation manual, but 1) table 5.2.1 on page 5-2 (2012 manual) shows clearly power inputs for main, nav and com. And 2) this is the way Stein wired my harness and how I wired the radio. Since no smoke has escaped and it works fine, I'm assuming I did something right.

If you don't have the installation manual, and for some strange reason Garmin doesn't make it available online, here's the link to my copy from 2012:

http://www.marksrv8.com/docs/GTN650.pdf

Don't forget the NAV receiver. It needs power too. If it's a 650, it has the VOR receiver.

EDIT: I see you're ganging up the power inputs for the main/gps and the nav under one input, and the com under the other. I chose to use three inputs

Last edited:
Figure E-4 from Recision 4 of the installation manual is below. I forgot pin 30 as a third power pin on the COM connector.

25bc86e0efeb85cb3ceea99fb1a7ed28_zpsdce4wlbl.jpg

Three it is.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Not to keep beating the horse :D, but if I was putting actual CBs in the panel, I'd use two per the manual. In my case, I was using a VPX and the electronic breakers were available, so I went with three. Not sure if it makes any difference at all in the VPX case, but in the CB case, it's extra $$$ and space.

Perhaps I was working from an old installation manual, but 1) table 5.2.1 on page 5-2 (2012 manual) shows clearly power inputs for main, nav and com. And 2) this is the way Stein wired my harness and how I wired the radio. Since no smoke has escaped and it works fine, I'm assuming I did something right.

If you don't have the installation manual, and for some strange reason Garmin doesn't make it available online, here's the link to my copy from 2012:

http://www.marksrv8.com/docs/GTN650.pdf

I know one other major error that was in multiple versions of the installation manuals prior to Version 7, which was released in December 2013.

While the table showing the pinouts was correct, the illustration above it was a reversed image of the original. Silly me, I wired mine off the illustration and fried my nav board. It was a PITA getting to get Garmin to admit to a mistake. Since it was one month after my warranty expired, it cost me $975 to get it fixed.