mikkee1

We just had a major windstorm here and my left aileron on my RV-4 was damaged by debris (not repairable). Does anyone know of a spare left aileron out there (maybe from a damaged RV-4?).

Also, I own the airplane but I didn't build it. Assuming I end up building the aileron, is it difficult? Are jigs required?

Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

I'm curious to know if this is fact or not but it seems someone mentioned once you can purchase a fully fabricated rv8 aileron from vans whis is the same as on the rv4. It is possible that I just pulled this out of my imagination.... Maybe someone more experienced could speak up.

Also curious...

I'm also curious about both questions posed here... difficulty of building for a newbie builder, and possible availability of already built ailerons. My -6 has been oversqueezed on both sides, and I've been looking into building/acquiring a new set to 'start fresh'.

-jon

aileron

I have a left aileron for my RV-4 tht was dropped by the painter which I repaired until I built a new one. I flew the test period with it on the plane and its sitting in my hangar now. DonT know if it will fit your plane but maybe we could work something out.

Building an aileron is pretty easy if you have a few simple tools and no jig is required except the fittings on your wing.

Chris Murphy 970-219-9295

Easy to Build

An alieron is probably the easiest subassy on the 4 - probably will take about a day to build. It is going to be quicker than scrounging around. Can you not reuse any of it ? The attach brackets and counter weight should still be ok ?

Mark Bolton

http://rv-4builder.blogspot.com/

aileron

Just a bit of advice learned from experience...
The trailing edge radius of your new ailerons is very critical. If it is not correct you can get "aileron snap" which I had and scared the bejesus out of me. It was easily corrected with duck bill vice grips which I adjusted to crimp the trailing edges to the radius that worked... I put tape around the vice grip to prevent scratching the surface.

Redhawk - could yo give a better description of what you call "Aileron Snap"? Most of us that fly acro regularly in the RV's are well aware of the buffet that you get at full aileron deflection (it scares everyone the first time, then we find out it is normal). There is also significant difference in how the roll control feels with varying degrees of "sharpness" in the trailing edge (or more accurately, if the aileron surface is slightly convex or concave a little before the trailing edge.

Just trying to learn if there is another phenomenon that we can add to the catalog.

Paul