MartinPred

Well Known Member
Sponsor
After my prop strike a couple of months ago, I'vd decided to switch to a Catto three blade. I knew that this might be considered a major modification, and that I might have to go back into Phase I, so I called the FSDO. After reviewing the regs and looking over my ops lims, they've concluded that I may not have to go back into phase I if I can demonstrate that this is a proven engine/prop combination.

So that's where I need your help. Niether Van's nor Mr. Catto could offer me any documentation that the combination of a Catto three-blade and a Lycoming O-360 on an RV-4 was proven. I'm thinking that if I could get copies of someone's ops lims and log book entry recording that Phase I was successfully complete, that would be good enough for my local FSDO.

I should say that the FSDO folks were very supportive and gave me the impression that they want to get me back in the air with a minimum of hassle. In fact thier initial read was that prop change wouldn't require re-entering Phase I since the weight change was only a few pounds. But due to the recent crash of an experimental aircraft at VGT (where I'm based and where my aircraft is currently located), they're under a lot of scrutiny to demonstrate due diligence. In fact they said that since that mishap, all applications for experimental aircraft had to be approved by thier district manager.

The alternative is to take the wings off and truck the plane down to Jean or Boulder City to do Phase I. I'd like to avoid that if possible and the FSDO seems like they want to help me avoid it.

So if there's anyone out there that could send me copies of thier ops lims and Phase I complete logbook entries, or if you have any other suggestions, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks,

-Martin
402BD

Standby!!!! ...

I know someone with an RV4/O-360/3-blade Catto ... I think.

Send me an email jclarkmail -AT- gmail.com

I will verify and see if I can get the two of you hooked up.

He has been flying for a LONG time with the combo.

James

going back to phase I is only 5 hours..

why go through all that, just fly the airplane 5 hours and then put it back in phase II , might be a good time to learn how the new prop works out..

Danny..

Yes, James... that's the combo "he" has :) I know who you're thinking of... and I am definitely sure that you got it right...

One more comment ...

I know someone with an RV4/O-360/3-blade Catto ... I think.

Send me an email jclarkmail -AT- gmail.com

I will verify and see if I can get the two of you hooked up.

He has been flying for a LONG time with the combo.

James

As others mentioned, the "back to Phase I" is no big deal and is valuable. My comments are based on the "remove wings and truck back ...." comments of yours.

But there is in fact someone who has been safely flying an RV4 combo as you describe.

James

The alternative is to take the wings off and truck the plane down to Jean or Boulder City to do Phase I. I'd like to avoid that if possible and the FSDO seems like they want to help me avoid it.

Check the original post guys - apparently going back to Phase I IS a big deal.

erich

Similiar Prop

How about borrowing a prop similar to what was damaged, then fly it to where you can do your Phase 1?

I've thought of that. So if somone has a Sensenich Wood I can borrow, that may work. But otherwise, I'd like to avoid having to pull the wings off and putting the airplane on a trailer. I had my prop strike at VGT, so the plane's been stuck there ever since.

-Martin
402BD

So FP-->FP is a "major" mod requiring going back to Phase I?? That's a point that, IMHO, can be argued.. IOW, you may not need to go to Phase I at all.. You're just switching brands here..

I've thought of that. So if somone has a Sensenich Wood I can borrow, that may work. But otherwise, I'd like to avoid having to pull the wings off and putting the airplane on a trailer. I had my prop strike at VGT, so the plane's been stuck there ever since.

-Martin
402BD

You should be able to get a one time ferry permit.
ymmv
Tom
RV3

Would Catto on an RV6A count?

..since it's not the airplane but the prop-engine combo. If so, I have 450 hours on this combo.

Regards,

Catto on an RV-6

..since it's not the airplane but the prop-engine combo. If so, I have 450 hours on this combo.

Regards,

I think it would. The FSDO guys gave me the impression that just about any data would do. Like I said, thier original read was that this was not a major modification, and that no re-issue would be needed. But ever since that Long-EZ crashed at VGT and killed two people on the ground, experimental certification is a hot potato.

I don't want to argue with the FSDO since they're trying to help me out and I want to get back in the air. So I will graciously take you up on your offer. If you've got your records scanned in, you can send them to [email protected]. My fax is 757-764-8460.

Thanks,

-Martin
402BD

It's on the way, Martin...

...and I added a testimony, signed for the FAA about another friend with several hundred hours on his 0-360 with a Catto on an -8,

Regards,

I think it would. The FSDO guys gave me the impression that just about any data would do. Like I said, thier original read was that this was not a major modification, and that no re-issue would be needed. But ever since that Long-EZ crashed at VGT and killed two people on the ground, experimental certification is a hot potato.

I don't want to argue with the FSDO since they're trying to help me out and I want to get back in the air. So I will graciously take you up on your offer. If you've got your records scanned in, you can send them to [email protected]. My fax is 757-764-8460.

Thanks,

-Martin
402BD

I can send some docs as well.
I have 325+ hours on my catto 3-blade. I understand your issue as I was building at VGT before I relocated to Florida. I was a member of eaa 163.
Let me know what you need.

I can send some docs as well.
I have 325+ hours on my catto 3-blade. I understand your issue as I was building at VGT before I relocated to Florida. I was a member of eaa 163.
Let me know what you need.

Dan,

Sent you a PM.

Thanks,

-Matt

Still Need Help

I was hoping that Mr. Catto could provide some detailed info to the FSDO, but we was only able to send a general rundown of the types of props he makes--not technical enough for the FAA.

They still want to work with me and they've told me that if I can produce three "Phase I Complete" logbook entries from people with RV-4/O-360/Catto configurations, they'd be satisified.

So does anyone else out there have that configuration and can help me out?

Thanks,

-Martin
402BD

I was hoping that Mr. Catto could provide some detailed info to the FSDO, but we was only able to send a general rundown of the types of props he makes--not technical enough for the FAA.

They still want to work with me and they've told me that if I can produce three "Phase I Complete" logbook entries from people with RV-4/O-360/Catto configurations, they'd be satisified.

So does anyone else out there have that configuration and can help me out?

Thanks,

-Martin
402BD

Martin,
Do I understand correctly that you did not receive my fax?
I sent it about 1 1/2 weeks ago.
If not, I can send it to you tomorrow.

Last edited:
why go through all that, just fly the airplane 5 hours and then put it back in phase II , might be a good time to learn how the new prop works out..

Danny..

Yep... should be 5 hours and move on. Not worth the time and effort.

Not... Call anonter FSDO, call OK... this is a simple change. Some are a PITA.

I think he will have to go to the FSDO where the plane currently sits, not where his home base is. I've been thinking of changing my Catto prop to a different FP prop and my FSDO said I have to do the paper work and go back to a 5 hour phase 1 BECAUSE my operating limitations say I have to. In other words, it all depends on what YOUR operating limitations say.