dsm8

Well Known Member
Patron
I have seen a c set for a rvieter and I think it may help with putting skin rivets the spar. but am not sure I know how to use it properly. Can anyone show me how it is used or point me in the right direction

Thanks

Don

Don,

If you are referring to the C-Frame rivet tool you should have received a few pieces of harware with it. Put the small barrel into the hole in the bottom plate of the C-frame, there should be a recpticle in that barrel to accept a flat die. Place your other die in the sliding ram above and you can use a hammer to set the rivet or use the tapered ram and it will fit into the business end of a rivet gun. Make sense?:confused:

I have seen a c set for a rvieter and I think it may help with putting skin rivets the spar. but am not sure I know how to use it properly. Can anyone show me how it is used or point me in the right direction

Thanks

Don

Excuse me, but are you referring to this sort of "C" rivet setting tool?

http://www.averytools.com/pc-1052-92-c-rivet-set.aspx

If so, then I may be able to help you in using it since I have used it for working on my Flaps and Aielrons.

I've never used one but here is text and photo from www.vincesrocket.com:

Hey Guys, Thought I'd share a new toy I have. I believe in backriveting anything I can. The quality is just the best. Not saying that conventional riveting is bad, it can just be a little better. Anyhow, a friend gave me a c-set backriveting bar. It looks very ungainly and unbalanced, but once you use the thing, due to its weight, it is unbelievably smooth and controllable when driving rivets. With a backrivet bar on the other side the c-set gives perfect rivets every time. Anyone can use this thing, its that easy. I realize there's not that much cosmetic riveting on the F1 but if you see one of these at a fly-mart, its well worth the cash to have one in your tool box. It also makes a good tight-area bucking bar and paper weight. The picture below is of me riveting the top skin of a HS. The rivets look airbrushed on. Eric Henson

C-set1.jpg

Handy mod to C set

With a little bit of careful grinding, you can get into a lot of tight spots:

DSC00730.JPG