KnotKrazy

Patron
Okay fellow RVer's, this is an odd request:
I live in north Georgia and have just listed my house for sale. My question is, where am I going to move? I'm currently in a mountain community about an hour north of Atlanta. Problem is, the house is WAY too big (I built it) and I'm not keen on the mountains. And if you're familiar with metro Atlanta, you know there's NO hanger availability north of the city. So why am I here, you ask? Dunno, you'd have to ask the -ex...
So the delimma is, where will I move when it sells? I'm fortuate enough to work for an airline and can commute to work from just about anywhere in the US. I'm looking for a great place to settle with access to a recreational lake (gotta ski!) and close proximity to an airport with hanger availability (The RV will be done someday, right?). Since most of my family has passed, I'm not tied to Atlanta or any other place. Oh yeah, the warmer the better, not a big fan of long winters!
So if you live in a place you consider GREAT, I'd love to hear about it. So far, Tampa, FL and Austin TX are front-runners. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Marty Esther
RV-7 wings
N717ME (reserved)

the country's big, so there's no shortage of great places.. but to be more specific -- one place I'd rather be is Charleston, SC... since you're from GA, I suspect you already are quite familiar with the place. I think hangars could be a bit of a challenge, but not impossible to find. property's expensive, though :(

Carson City

15 minutes to Tahoe, 45 to two other lakes. Plenty of RV's on the field. If you have enough power in your toy you can climb straight out of the departure end of the runway, over the Sierras and be over Tahoe in about 7 minutes.

Winter snow skiing and summer water skiing all over the area. River and lake fishing as well. Reno is s25 minutes away by car. Hunting and fishing all over the state.

The biggest drawback to the area is the cost of housing. Expect about 600K for anything over 2300 feet. The EAA chapter is more of a senior hangout but there are plenty of other things going on on the field. Two RV's in progress, two P-51's, one B-25 and a museum on the field. There are numerous other interesting craft as well.

What ever you do, steer clear of southern California. The weather is usually terrible, there are no RVs around...but at least the cost of living is ridiculously low! :eek:

If you want to stay central for commuting, the Texas Hill Country is not a bad place to park - that's where I'm building for the future. Nice scenery, lakes, airparks...I prefer closer to San Antonio than Austin, but that's just cause I'm more familiar with it...

Oh, you DID say you didn't mind the heat, right? :rolleyes:

Paul (Not a native Texan, not really a Texan, but lived here for 25 years now...)

You need to see the Ozarks before you make a decision. I live in Harrison, AR and love it. There are three lakes less than an hours drive that offer great fishing and skiing. You also have the White river below the dams for great trout fishing and Gastons fly-in resort. You have Branson Mo. just 35 miles north. The weather is very nice. We don't have harsh winters and the summers are hot but pleasant. Housing hasn't gotten out of hand here yet. You can buy a nice new home for around $150,000 and we are getting ready to build 10 brand new enclosed hangers which are spoken for already but that will free up 10 open T hangers. Our little airport in uncontrolled and is 6100 ft long by 150 ft. wide, HRO. Ain't life grand! :)

Wow!

Well, the RV forums really do work! I posted my question less than 6 hours ago and already have six replies!
Thanks everyone for the quick responses. All great ideas and I'm checking realtor.com for housing & info. RVer's really are the best...

Marty

Just say no to anywhere but TX

If only all my kids were here it would be perfect. While in the AF I moved too many times and left a child in each spot as they grew up. So now I have moved back home to Texas and don't have the kids near enough... maybe we should trade -- naaaahhhh they can come visit, I don't want to give up my hangar. The RV community here is huge. The only place I would rather be is down in Hill Country. Buy into an airport community, I don't think you can go wrong and you will love the flying weather. Plenty of nice lakes all around the area. I can't say enough .. housing here is also running 20% below the average in the nation from what I am told. Austin may be a bit higher, but you will absolutely love the city. I have never met anyone that didn't like Austin. Of course I could be biased, my bride is from Austin and I have known her since I was 16.

Stewart

Just across the lake from Lake Norman Airpark is Long Island Airpark with it's 3,000 ft. lighted, irrigated grass runway and lake access.

Both Long Island and Lake Norman are nice airports and the people are great.

FYI - There is a Fly-In at Lake Norman this Saturday.

gpiney said:
One of my cousins was up visiting family last month. He told me about this place. He lives a few miles from it.

http://www.lakenormanairpark.org/

Has everything you want.

Greg Piney
Finished Toolbox
Ordering RV-8 Empenage

I am living in Salina, Kansas...and have lived all over the country...from years in Alaska...Calif...midwest...and norhteast... One of the better kept secrets is the state of Missouri...especially if you like water sports. Very nice clean spring fed type lakes all over the state....

I'd stay away from Austin. I mean, the weather's too wacko. Last week, we had 85 degrees and this week, it's down in the 50's for a high. Saturday morning is going to be 37 degrees. How can you plan with this kind of weather? I've already put away my heater. Now, I'm going to have to pull it out from under the bench to work on the airplane this weekend.

I would suggest Maui. Who needs a lake close by when you have the whole ocean. In December, the high is 85 and the low is 84. In July, the high is 86 and the low is 85. No heaters to deal with, and open the door for air conditioning.

Cheers,
Tracy.

I own a condo on Maui and the weather is great but count on a 20+ knot wind ALL the time. They don't call it the windsurfing capital of the world for nothing. Better have your crosswind landings down pat.

By the way, we rent the condo out if anyone is interested. :rolleyes: Send me an email if you want more details. (rjsflyer -at- yahoo.com)

Rick Schwandt
RV-9A Fuselage
www.rjsflyer.com

Have I got the place for you.

Home on private, man made ski lake. Twenty minute drive to IAH. Five minute drive to a grass strip with hangar space available. Low rates with gas. Yes it is hot and humid in the summer.

McStealth

The Florida Panhandle area is relatively cheap. The place is lousy with airstrips and lakes........and I'm a Realtor.

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:29 pm Post subject: Atlanta Area Live with your Airplane

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you interested in LIVING with YOUR AIRPLANE. There are two properties for sale at Big T airport (64GA) just 6 miles from Tarra Field's aerobatic box. Both properties have residnetial accomodations attached to hangars with over 3000 sq ft of hangar space and over 2400 sq ft of living area in the homes. One property has a joint 1000 gal fuel tank. Both properties are located ON THE RUNWAY. One property is asking $399,900 and the other is asking $385,000. These are not currently listed with MLS so save big now on commission with dealing directly with the owners. Currently 4 other IAC members here on the field and we all fly as often as possible critiquing each other. Also we are only a 11 minute drive from Aircraft Spruce and Specialties in Peachtree City, GA. For more information and owner contact info, please contact me at 678-463-5944 or at

[email protected]

Look up the airport at www.airnav.com or at http://skyvector.com/airport/64GA/Big-T--Air
port
------------------
Best Regards,
Mark-
678-GO-FLY-HI

The above was taken from another list. It is in Senoia just South of ATL. The resident RV8 owner always has copious amounts of Bourbon and good cigars available for those after flight breifings.

No shipping required from Aircraft Spruce?

N395V said:
Also we are only a 11 minute drive from Aircraft Spruce and Specialties in Peachtree City, GA.

The savings in shipping costs will probably cover your mortgage...

Have you decided?

Marty,
Just wondering what you finally decided...as to where to live??
Don

Just moved back to Albuquerque area after three of the longest years in San Antonio.

350 days of sun, skiing nearby, never too hot (low humidity you know), never too cold (after 10:00 AM usually above 50 in the heart of winter), hiking, fishing, hunting, you name it, what a place!

Nough said?

Steven L Hild
Los Lunas, NM
RV-7 fuse

Middle AZ

And Don?t consider middle Arizona, Too many private/public airports, ugly scenery (Sedona), Lake Powell is no fun to boat on,too close to telluride skiing, and the weather is way too sunny for flying :eek:
Brad- Flagstaff
RV-6A FW forward

Blue Ridge, Georgia

Heck, sell the house and move up the road (515) 30 miles and settle in beautiful Blue Ridge. Ski on Lake Blue Ridge and snow ski in N. Carolina. Hangars are being built at the Copperhill airport and will be cheaper than most areas of the country.

You can travel to all these suggested destinations for vacation. That's what you have the RV for!