Lycosaurus

Well Known Member
We're looking to travel to some more interesting USA destinations in our RV in the month of September. We have done a similar trip to the West Coast last year:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=91830

This year we are looking to stay somewhat east of the Rockies. Weather will be a factor as we are flying VFR, leaving Ontario Canada. We were thinking of some music destinations such as New Orleans, Nashville, etc. A visit to Colorado (Denver?), Florida. Texas almost seems like it has too many destinations/airports to choose from (help!).

I am looking for the collective knowledge of some airports that have great reputation/amenities, cities or towns of interest, and things to do.

Help us plan our trip, and we promise to post another trip report here :)

Last edited:
Stops

Strongly suggest Triple Tree (they love visitors just for a short stop), Jekyl Island on the atlantic, and a stop on Cedar Key too (top of gulf in florida) (loved it!). Found downtown Knoxville (island airport) a great stop too. Kingsport Tennessee while not a really great desination as such is a great stop over spot for the night. FBO was tops, and La Quinta hotel was new, modern clean and had a free shuttle with mexican food not far away and shuttle will save you a bunch on cabs. Those kind of stop overs are perfect.

GA airports in the US are just amazing. Friendly people, great deals on cars, hotels etc. You will love it all. Enjoy your trip.

Last edited:
You have beaucoup options.

Key West, FL

Kitty Hawk, NC

Maybe a hop over to the Bahamas

If you make it to Colorado, Leadville and Telluride.

Which month?

Which month?

I've found airports with collections of RV projects, planes, and pilots at New Smyrna Beach/KEVB, FL and Hicks/T67, TX for good discussions & hanger flying - likely every day!

In early October the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta is a great 10 day event.

Although I haven't seen it, the Atlantis Space Shuttle exhibit at Kennedy Space Center, Florida is reported to be excellent. Overflying the shuttle runway there is fun.

Living in southeast TX I would avoid this area until the cooler weather arrives.

Carl

Last edited:
more....

Some great suggestions so far. Keep 'em coming. I especially like where specific sites (museums, monuments etc) are mentioned, airport, accommodations, possibility of crew car...