woodmanrog

Well Known Member
Here is what happened.
On a flight last week, my wife and I noticed that all of a sudden our EIS system was showing an steady voltage DROP and an INCREASE in amperage. As the lights started dimming and things started shutting down in flight, we shut down all of the electrics except for the transponder which was now squauking 7600. Since we carry a handheld radio on board, it turned out to be a non-event as we flew home and landed. It seemed even though the XPNDR wasn't blinking, it still was putting out a signal as our tower guy asked me to ident and he was able to read where we were.
As we flew along before I shut things down, I noticed that the voltage was steadily dropping and the amps were steadily climbing all the way up to 60.
After landing, I put the battery on a trickle charger and went home.
Here is the mystery:
The next morning per instructions from my partner who is a respected AP, I pulled the plane out of the hanger, pulled all of the circuit breakers, noted the voltage (13.6V) before starting the engine and cranked her up. After the engine was running, I started adding electrical components one at a time to see if there was a short or excessive draw from any one component. The voltage held steady at 14 volts and the amp meter read a draw of anywhere from 1 amp to a maximum of 5.The maximum occurred when I turned on the strobes. At this point everything seemed normal so I took "Cloud Dancer" up for a few laps over the airport. When I landed, everything was again as it should be.
My first inclination was that my voltage regulator/alternator was going south so I ordered a new Plane Power. At first I hadn't considered that I may have a bad battery because we just replaced it 6 months ago.
Now I'm thinking that the battery may in fact be faulty because the alternator was trying to replace voltage/amps that were being drawn by the battery as it was failing. Of course I am just making guesses so I thought I'd ask the experts out there for any advice that could be offered.
Thanks,
Woodman

It is not a lot of help, but . .
Something is causing a high current draw. It sounds like your alternator is just fine.
It could be the battery. Pull it and have it load tested.
Looked for chafed wires. Obviously it will not be anything that was not turned on during the incident flight (landing lights, nav lights mayb. . .). Since no smoke escaped from the wires, it is either a big wire or, like you suggested, the battery.

Mystery Solved

Saturday we pulled the cowl for an inspection and found the power wire to the alternator had corroded inside the fitting that attaches to the alternator. I have an older automotive type as it was installed before 2005. We put on a new aircraft type fitting and reinstalled on the old alternator. We then tested everything on the ground and everything seemed to be OK. We went up for a photo mission on Sunday and noticed that the alternator was only showing .1 amp output. Again, voltage was slowly dropping. As we continued into the flight I noticed that all of a sudden the alternator was putting out 33 amps and the battery was getting recharged. We finished our mission (very close to home I might add) and landed. After fueling while taxiing back to the hanger, the alternator was again only showing .1 amp of charge. New Plane Power alternator being installed this week.

Last edited:
You got me

That's what happens when your brain works slower than your fingers when typing. If anyone can find the alternator under the canopy, I want to see that model RV too. LOL on me.