Wingnut

Well Known Member
They say bad things happen in threes so I should have known to stop after I riveted the left joint plate to the right leading edge and then lost my tungsten bucking bar in my "voluminous" garage. Instead, I pressed on.

I am installing a SafeAir1 pitot tube mast in the left wing bottom skin (W-705-L). I taped the template to the skin in the wrong position-I placed the line on the template for the edge of the spar even with the leading edge/bottom skin joint. Unfortunately, I didn't catch my error until I cut the hole in the skin. My measurement shows the hole to be one half inch to far forward (although the line on the template is 3/4" as is the mast). Should I just order a new bottom skin at $88 + who knows what in shipping or is it salvageable? Thanks for the advice. I swear I'll pay better attention next time!:eek:

f6d05b69-ab23-4f67-af84-d4ebbcb3ad98_zps8deab142.jpg

Last edited:
The mistake you made is an easy one. I recall running this through my head several times to make sure I got it right. The directions should be more clear to point this out. This should also serve as a reminder to Slow Down a bit when it comes to things like drilling holes in skins. Unfortunately, the mast won't nest flush to the spar where you have drilled the hole so replacing the skin is the best solution. Don't sweat it though. $88 is nothing.

Shouldn't be an issue.

As long as you didn't cut into the spar web flange you do not have a real issue. You can make a doubler that matches the cut out of the mast and elongate the hole you cut in the skin and put a filler peace to fill the gap. Since it's on the bottom it will never be seen.

Food for though, your mileage may vary.