I need to replace the VS spar (long story), but I've already drilled and dimpled both the skin and the spar flange.

The new spar will need to be drilled, deburred and dimpled so I assume that I'll need to put the already dimpled skin on it and match drill (ream) carefully?

The new spar will already have holes drilled. Just drill em or ream to final size, debur both sides, dimple, prime if desired and rivet. You'll be good to go.

What Jesse and Robert said.

Last edited:
My question was around the fact that the skin won't sit flush on the spar flange for the match ream because its been dimpled already.

Will cleco'ing the dimpled skin to an undimpled spar mess up my skin dimples?

Match drilling

I think what Arnie is trying to tell you is that you don't need to attach the skin to your new spar before drilling. In other words, don't match drill. Just drill the spar holes up to #40, debur and dimple. It will fit like a glove.

That's right. The prepunched holes are so accurate that you don't have to match drill in a situation like this. If you run into a hole that the rivet won't fit in, you can just chase it lightly with a drill but, usually even by hand.

One minor thing, after you finish dressing the spar and start riveting, should a rivet not drop right in, run a drill through it and set the rivet.

You will be fine. If this is the only (minor) mistake you make during your build, you are doing good.

Remember, it is not the mistake you make but how you fix it.

Here is a picture of just some of the parts I destroyed during my build. Save the old spar, you can always us it for something later on.

(Click to enlarge.)

run a drill through it and set the rivet.

A friend finished his 6 in a hanger that had draconian rules (no drills). It was called the "rotary alignment tool" ever after.

Save the old spar, you can always us it for something later on.

Right on. I trashed the leading edge on one aileron. It wound up becoming a multitude of custom brackets + my glovebox.

Sorry I missed you at SC00 today Bill.