schaplerrh

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I'd like to hear from those of you with local and/or recent experience re the better VFR route from southern AZ east over the continental divide to northern VA. I'll be picking up my new-to-me RV7 next week.

From Southern AZ? Follow I-10 east to El Paso, on to Carlsbad, then go direct. Low, reasonably spaced airports, and a transportation corridor.

When I picked up my RV7 in northern AZ we flew south to Teddy Roosevelt lake just north of Tucson then followed the "E" on my compass all the way home to central GA. 9 hours, 2 fuel stops, both in TX... Don't stay the night in Midland or Odessa under any circumstances... The $150 room in a RATHOLE hotel (only room left in town) after a $30 cab ride cured me of that...

Pual is on the same track as I.

Paul has it down. I have been able to live most of my life in TEXAS, and then move to North central North Carolina, gust bellow Basset, VA.. I agree with him up to getting to east TEXAS. I would cross the boarder up around Center, TEXAS. They have a good little airport there, if you are ready for fuel at that point. Then I would fallow "I-20" over to just before Atlanta, cut that corner and head north east to fallow "I-85". This will take you up to Winston-Salem were Twin-lakes is just south west of town. Fuel there is 5.20 per. Gal.. From there you are home, if you do not stop for a hamburger that is at the Blue ridge airport, just 5 miles west of Basset. They just opened back up with a new crew, on the 15th. of this month. If I know when you may stop at Twin-lakes, I will open the lobby door for you and help you pump the fuel and yes show you my "8". Hope this helps in some way. Yours as always. R.E.A. #80888

P.S. I think you know to go around Charlotte. sorry.

Last edited:
Non-event

Crossing the mountains in New Mexico is basically a non-event. I have done it many, many times. I usually cross around Albequerque or Santa Fe. 8500 ft. gets you across almost anywhere.

Trip

Come on by Twin Lakes,I'm based there with several other RV'rs. Fresh coffee and low fuel prices. Preferred traffic is landing rwy 9 ( uphill )..departing 27

where is twin lakes?

Jim,

Thank you for the wonderful invite. I'd love to drop in and meet you all if practical. But first I must ask: which twin lakes do you mean?

Robert

Paul's advice is spot on. I've made the trip several times.
Your travels in WVa will show you more intimidating landscape than what you'll encounter out west. East to SW NewMexico then...Direct from Carlsbad will give you plenty of airports to pick from and nice places to spend the night/eat.
Enjoy the trip, plan it like any other and you'll be fine.
Regards,Mike

When I picked up my RV7 in northern AZ we flew south to Teddy Roosevelt lake just north of Tucson then followed the "E" on my compass all the way home to central GA. 9 hours, 2 fuel stops, both in TX... Don't stay the night in Midland or Odessa under any circumstances... The $150 room in a RATHOLE hotel (only room left in town) after a $30 cab ride cured me of that...

Yup - and San Angelo (KSJT) is about the same now, I would avoid that too. Wonders of the oil boom.

Yup - and San Angelo (KSJT) is about the same now, I would avoid that too. Wonders of the oil boom.

But if you head just a bit further North for Amarillo it seems OK on the hotel price department.

Tradewinds airport is friendly with free shuttles to the local hotels and of course, the Big Texan Steakhouse...:)

Watch out for the aliens when you cross Roswell, they got my alternator on my last trip there...:D

A nice stop is 3F3 at Mansfield, LA., just South of Shreveport, LA. Call in advance for the use of the airport SUV, the free use of a bunk room at operations, WIFI, internet, and coffee in the morning. Oh yes and the fuel is still $4.50 a gallon. Check the AFD for the phone number and ask for Randy.