Robert Anglin

Well Known Member
OK and to all, before I start grinding,drilling and fitting. I thought it wise to throw this one out and see what the gene pool has to say. We have an IO-360 in an 8-A with a Vetterman exhaust. It has an A.E.R.O. sump, the M-1-B style, and there is an E.C.I. throttle body facing forward with the control arm on the left side. Has anyone made brackets for the control cables, for both the throttle body and the fuel pump, also E.C.I. This is a tight fit with exhaust pipes all in the way. If you have run into this and have come up with a better mousetrap I would be very much interested in hearing or seeing it if you have any "J.P.G.'s"
Thanks your as always R.E.A. III #80888

This may be of little help but,

I'm right in the middle of that myself. My set up is a little different, IO360 with Lycoming horizontal cold air intake, Precision Airmotive Silverhawk fuel injection and Jihastro prop governor.

While I'm not done yet, I'm using the brackets and belcrank parts supplied by Van's with the FWF kit and it looks like everything is going to work out fine.

I did have to exchange my straight mixture arm for an offset one from Precision though.

throttle brackets

I am not building an 8/8A but I have ECI's forward facing sump with the throttle arm on the left just as you describe. I found the throttle cable supplied by Van's in the firewall forward kit was not long enough to reach to that point. I had to order a longer cable from Aircraft Spruce. It had a different bracket attachment setup than Van's threaded cable housing did. Here is the cable I ordered.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/a800.php

When I disovered this difference, I found this bracket for securing the end of the cable. The P/N 10465 bracket is setup to receive the slot from the above cable. I have not installed it yet but it does look like it will work for me. Here is a link to the bracket.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/controlmounts.php

Last edited:
Keep it up, good work- Thanks

Great it is good to see I am not the only one out there, that hangs ten over the reef. I know the guy's that did the R&D on this system here in TEXAS. They however did it on a tail dragger like Delbert up at Van's. The 8-A has a very limited window to pass the exhaust out through the exit ramp, so the exhaust option is what will bite you on this set up. This fuel system is good.
Even though it is new to most the same type, only bigger system has been in use in the Contie's for a long time. Your ideas are most welcome as I will have to put my thinking cap on and try to straighten my noodle out in the coming weeks.
Thanks your as always R.E.A. III # 80888

I just wanted to follow up with this post since I did some work on my throttle connections this weekend.

I really like the 10465 bracket. It works great with the cable I am using. The bracket has 6 holes drilled in it for various mounting locations. I found the bottom of the air induction sump has two locations with tapped holes that match perfectly with two of the holes on the bracket. I simply opened the holes out on the bracket to 1/4 in to accept an AN-4 bolt and attached the bracket to the bottom of the sump. It works really nicely. Just a note though on the threads for that mounting location. The bolt threads are not 10-32 on this sump. Make sure you have the correct threaded bolt if you use this mounting location. Good Luck.
I am not building an 8/8A but I have ECI's forward facing sump with the throttle arm on the left just as you describe. I found the throttle cable supplied by Van's in the firewall forward kit was not long enough to reach to that point. I had to order a longer cable from Aircraft Spruce. It had a different bracket attachment setup than Van's threaded cable housing did. Here is the cable I ordered.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/a800.php

When I disovered this difference, I found this bracket for securing the end of the cable. The P/N 10465 bracket is setup to receive the slot from the above cable. I have not installed it yet but it does look like it will work for me. Here is a link to the bracket.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/controlmounts.php

Last edited:
I'm using the vans Horz mixture Bracket hardware. I ran into a problem today that the studs connecting the slump to the block, where the mixture cable bracket attaches are too short. Not sure if its a builder issue or an ECI issue. I sure hope I don't have to remove the engine and have the engine torn down to replace them. I've got an email out to the builder asking for further direction.:(

2lo6m4y.jpg

:eek:
2s7c675.jpg

4vsex4.jpg

Last edited:
Stop nuts

Don't know if they make a MS21042 nut in a 1/4-20 or not? I know they make them in a 1/4-28. That would solve the problem though because the tensile strength is the same, but they are not as tall. If you used it in conjunction with a "L" washer, I would think it would be fine? Don't know if it's proper to use a "L" washer here vs a standard? Dave

+1

Don't know if they make a MS21042 nut in a 1/4-20 or not? I know they make them in a 1/4-28. That would solve the problem though because the tensile strength is the same, but they are not as tall. If you used it in conjunction with a "L" washer, I would think it would be fine? Don't know if it's proper to use a "L" washer here vs a standard? Dave

My thoughts exactly. Good Luck Chris.