MrNomad

Well Known Member
While reinstalling the D180 glass panel into its 6” x 4” tray, the nut at the back of the tray (which holds the D180 into the tray) pulled out of the aluminum.

It’s a round nut, looks like a 6/32 thread on the inside, but knurled on the outside. I’ve concluded that I cannot press the old nut back in.

One friend suggested a RIV NUT but the RIV NUT gun won’t fit inside the tray and I cannot get to it from behind (next time it’s a 9A tip up).

We also thought of a plate nut held in by pop rivets, assuming the pop rivet gun fits behind.

I’d appreciate any other creative ideas. I’m certain this has happened to others. Removing the tray is NOT an option.

Have you looked at the nutserts from Aircraft Spruce?
I've had much better luck with these than rivnuts, and the installation tool fits almost anywhere.

I"m assuming you are talking about a PEM nut that pulled out. If you can get a C-Clamp in there you can re-install it....

PEM NUT??

I"m assuming you are talking about a PEM nut that pulled out. If you can get a C-Clamp in there you can re-install it....

Richard:

It's called a PEM nut?

In other words, if I can squeeze the old PEM nut in place, it will expand and hold onto the surrounding aluminum?

That's worth a try.

If it happens (and it has occasionally) we either rivet on a floating nutplate, or use a nutclip/clipnut. Reinserting the old nutsert/pemsert usually is not a permanent fix, even if installed with an arbor press. Rivnuts are on the bottom of my list for use anywhere on an airplane....

Just my 2 cents!

Cheers,
Stein

Stien is right

Try to get a floating nutplate in there. I have these on both my D-100 and D-120. Luckily, my nut was installed crooked on one of the racks, and I was able to modify them before I installed them in the plane.
Lucky catch on that issue...

Regards,
Chris

Great ideas!

Thank you all for your helpful ideas. I will order THREE of each part you folks suggested, test each one offline, and see which one will work the best given the tight confines we have to work in.

Barry
Tucson