txshan130

Well Known Member
Hi Everyone -

Looking for a little guidance here with an alternator issue. The last few flights my B&C 60A alternator has not come online after engine start for maybe 2 minutes or so. Flipping the switch or cycling the breaker doesn't seem to have much effect either. My plane has 950 hours or so on it and has the LR3C-14 controller/regulator also from B&C.

Any ideas on what could be the problem or maybe where to start troubleshooting?

Thx in advance!

Hey neighbor,

Lots of posts here about the plugs on alternators being the issue. I'm sure somebody will post a link soon.

Think the loose plugs were Plane Power alternators.
Had a problem a few months back where the alternator would not come on line. Turned out to be worn brushes.

Hi Everyone -

Looking for a little guidance here with an alternator issue. The last few flights my B&C 60A alternator has not come online after engine start for maybe 2 minutes or so. Flipping the switch or cycling the breaker doesn't seem to have much effect either. My plane has 950 hours or so on it and has the LR3C-14 controller/regulator also from B&C.

Any ideas on what could be the problem or maybe where to start troubleshooting?

Thx in advance!

I would check the voltage to the field wire. Maybe thread a light gage wire in the cockpit and attach to a voltmeter. If the wire has voltage right away but no alternator output, then either a ground is poor, or something in the alternator is amiss (brushes?). If there is no voltage, then it might be (likely) the regulator. Next track to ensure the power for the field is getting from the switch to its destination - per your wiring scheme.

The B&C guys are helpful, you might consult with them too.

Thanks for all the help everyone...starting my condition inspection today and will post my findings when I figure it out :)

Brian,

If you have to remove your alternator, bring it to a local repair shop. They can probably get you back in the air within a few days for a lot less money than the original manufacture.

Be careful when taking B&C alternators to the auto store for repair. They tend to remake them into the original ND internally regulated alternators.

Vic